34 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

Looking very nice Iain, not normally an issue in the UK but spraying paint has Ben a bit 9f an issue the last week and definitely over this weekend as we are not set up here for 30 plus temperatures :frantic:

Guess that makes sense, I've heard that large parts of the UK aren't air conditioned. Meanwhile, we're above 40 for the next couple of weeks here in California.

Matt 

12 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Looking very nice Iain, not normally an issue in the UK but spraying paint has Ben a bit 9f an issue the last week and definitely over this weekend as we are not set up here for 30 plus temperatures :frantic:

Regards. Andy 

Thanks Andy! Plus 30°C, I wish!:clap2::lol: After a decade and a bit in the ME, this cold and wet in NZ goes straight into my bones....but yes, we had a/c in the desert....
Seems like same problems, opposite sides of the coin....

• IainM changed the title to 1/32 Fly Hurricane Mk. 2C Night Fighter (Paint)

Finally got a few days of glorious weather, it was time to get back to starting the paint-job on the Hurri!
Using some different mottling/stain masks I had lying around, put down some shades of greys and browns over the silver base (with some chipping fluid sprayed on first)

Staying away from pure blacks, but using base tones of either AK Interactive NATO Black, or Blue Black, mixed with some drops of Royal Blue, or IJN Green, Buff, etc - just to vary the tones of the coats, which were applied very thinly.
I then proceeded to lightly chip the frame, and lightly sanded the raised detail to bring out the silver layer below.

1Jibps.jpg

WFHALS.jpg

i5rU7A.jpg

NuxyHm.jpg
Here you can see that underlying tonality showing through the topcoat, and the result of the light sanding of the raised detail.
The different tones, etc, are much more visible with the naked eye...

sGShz5.jpg

Port side zoomed in a bit - the tones are more evident in this shot - further weathering plus the addition (in contrast) of the national insignia will tone things down a little.

eXLZ9S.jpg

EmSXmV.jpg

c34ffr.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, Borsos said:

That’s an amazing work on the Hurricane!

Andreas

On 8/5/2022 at 1:24 AM, MARU5137 said:

IainM,

OUTSTANDING  work ...

Your Hurricane is looking Top Notch. 

:thumbsup:  :yahoo:

On 8/5/2022 at 7:48 AM, TorbenD said:

What a cracker of finish! Beautifully subtle patina and weathering - really showing off those wonderful riveted Fly wings. 

Torben

18 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

It's turning out very nice Iain!

Lovely work so far!

14 hours ago, Scale32 said:

Nailed the black and the fine chipping looks very convincing, well done.

Cheers Bevan 

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Very nicely done.

Thanks all, comments much appreciated!

On 7/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, MikeMaben said:

Nice Iain.  The wheels from the Fly kit are off quite a bit in diameter of both the wheel and the tyre.

Barracuda has a nice set that includes the up locks. I know because I've re-started my PCM kit that

was shelved for the 109D. Those little up lock parts are quite fiddely as one might imagine but I

managed to get them installed.

http://barracudacals.com/proddetail.php?prod=BR32426

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235003618-hurricane-wheel-size-in-132/

7RPM922.jpg

Not a great big deal , just a suggestion.

@MikeMaben Thanks for the heads-up - my Barracuda wheels have just arrived from Aus! As with all of Roy's goodies, they are way better than that which came in the kit!

On 8/6/2022 at 9:48 PM, Gerhard said:

Dit lyk bakgat Iain. Very well done and your judgement one tones is superb. 

Dankie @Gerhard waardeer dit!

On 8/7/2022 at 6:13 AM, scvrobeson said:

Great job making the black look more interesting.  That's always a challenge.

Matt 

Thanks @scvrobeson appreciate it!