Zoukei Mura - Old Man Blog No.115

Jan_G

24 minutes ago, Vincent said:

The oil breather on top of the engine is molded as a cone when it was in fact both conical and cylindrical (this will prove harder to fix)

Not always as "both conical and cylindrical". Check photos: 

392ee637e36cbd0c222c0c145fc653bb.jpg

The DB 605 Einbauplan 9-605-5074 issued by Daimler Benz on 6.8.43 was used to create the engine in the kit and Daimler Benz illustrate the cone exactly as depicted in the kit. I have no reason to disagree with Daimler Benz. :)

Radu 

4 minutes ago, Vincent said:

Yes but that version of the breather (with single angled outlet) was not used on the Me109G ;)

I noticed one crankcase breather that has that more columnar appearance with two outlets directly opposite each other rather than the one outlet pipe.

Does the breather hose insert into the inlet manifold or is it just loose in the engine bay?  I can't see where it goes in any diagrams.

Thanks for your comments on the kit. Really informative.

Matty

1 minute ago, Vincent said:

The breather pipes go down vertically and split with one part going back to the valve cover and the other going to a dump vent in the wing root. Same for both sides except that the routing is a bit different but not much

Thanks for that.  Curiosity assuaged.

Great job Radu on helping bring such high quality kits to market.

Cheers Matty

11 minutes ago, Vincent said:

The engine plumming is kinda OK but stuff is missing, partly due to technical limitations, partly due to confusion (i think). The piping of the engine used for the Me109G are perfectly well documented, including the breather lines :)

The plumbing is 99% there. This was explained before, one section of pipe was not included because it would interfere with assembly. 

Let us not lose sight of the fact that this engine, even if we were to say that "stuff is missing", is still much more complete than expensive aftermarket resin engines. This engine has by far the most complete plumbing in any DB 605 ever produced in injection-moulded plastic or resin in any scale so far. 

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MD

So you can see why the breather fitted on the DB605A on the Me109G must have been the 2 outlets version

Yes, this has been discussed before! The kit engine has the "two-pipe" breather and one small piece of pipe 5 mm in length and 0.7 mm in diameter is missing. You must mention that the kit engine contains the whole oil breather pipework (minus that small piece of pipe that has already been mentioned thrice!) illustrated in this image. This pipework has never been included in any other injection-moulded plastic kit before and is also missing from many aftermarket resin engines. 

14 minutes ago, Vincent said:

As I wrote, right side is OK and left side is not because a breather line that is not connected to the breather outlet of the engine isn't going to breathe a lot

;)

This is the fourth time that you mentioned the absence of a small piece of plastic that is 5 mm in length and 0.7 mm in diameter. Anyone who cares can add it very easily.

I received my kits - I pigged-out on two - a short time ago, absolutely magnificent kit, great value when you consider the current price of the basic Hasegawa 109's if you can get one.

Would be great to have a more comprehensive review Vincent, and maybe either yourself or Radu could illustrate the missing pipe.

Nothing in life is perfect, but I'm sure we can all appreciate how far the hobby has come from when the only 1/32 Bf 109G available was the olde Revell kit from the sixties.

12 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

Radu could illustrate the missing pipe.

This is the location of the missing pipe, in red. There should be a pipe there, leading from the cone structure at the top of the engine to the breather pipe. It was left out because if that pipe was left in place the engine cowl could not close unless the pipe was modified. Either way, whether it was included or omitted, that small piece of pipe required work. I left it out. Had I left it in, there would have been trouble also. I should have gone the way all the other manufacturers went, ignore the entire pipework all around, and there would have been no problem at all. I apologise profusely for all the upset caused by this. 

AM-JKLXNqN0ghvEVNk9wzLr0SM-AhRXL40MxX7lZ

13 minutes ago, Radub said:

This is the location of the missing pipe, in red. There should be a pipe there, leading from the cone structure at the top of the engine to the breather pipe. It was left out because if that pipe was left in place the engine cowl could not close unless the pipe was modified. Either way, whether it was included or omitted, that small piece of pipe required work. I left it out. Had I left it in, there would have been trouble also. I should have gone the way all the other manufacturers went, ignore the entire pipework all around, and there would have been no problem at all. I apologise profusely for all the upset caused by this. 

AM-JKLXNqN0ghvEVNk9wzLr0SM-AhRXL40MxX7lZ

No upset here. I’ll be building mine all buttoned up anyway as I do with all my builds.

But at the moment I kinda feel that I can't say a thing about the kit without Radu providing an after the fact explaination and I have other stuff to do in real life

I have every single right to defend this model. This is a democracy, everyone has the right to speak. Apart from that, by this stage you probably noticed that I am not the kind of person who will accept anyone's boot on my neck. 

31 minutes ago, Magneto said:

Have you seen the Eduard resin engines?

The Eduard engine in 1/32, made for the Revell kit, does not include any of the underside of the engine plumbing, so it is missing the coolant and the oil pipes. The Aires engine in scale 1/32 only comes with a length of copper wire that needs to be cut and shaped to make the pipework. 

The ZM kit comes with all the pipes.