Zoukei Mura - Old Man Blog No.115

Jan_G

The kit looks amazing, however I think I would prefer an engine stand like the Great Wall p-40 as I suspect if I get one of these I am going to glue the engine compartment closed and just not use a bunch of the parts in the tail section.  

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

The kit looks amazing, however I think I would prefer an engine stand like the Great Wall p-40 as I suspect if I get one of these I am going to glue the engine compartment closed and just not use a bunch of the parts in the tail section.  

There is an engine stand included in the kit. BTW, every ZM kit includes an engine stand, they always include one as part of the "runner" (sprue) for the engine. 

Radu

On the G-14 the compressed air bottles for the MK 108 were relocated to the left wing in the space previously occupied by the ammunition for the MG 151. The access hatch for the MG 151 ammunition was used to refill the bottles. There is original Messerschmitt information, which was also published in other books, that supports this. If you think that the U4 compressed air bottles should be elsewhere on the G-14, then you can easily relocated these bottles in that location, no major issue. 

Radu 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:24 PM, Radub said:

There is an engine stand included in the kit. BTW, every ZM kit includes an engine stand, they always include one as part of the "runner" (sprue) for the engine. 

Radu

Radu. Quick question on the engine stands. Do the earlier kits have the stands?  Looking at the He-219 and Ta-152 I am not seeing anything like a stand in the sprues for the engine. Just curious as I would love to display one of the He-219 engines. 

Thanks 

Paul 

4 hours ago, Paul2660 said:

Radu. Quick question on the engine stands. Do the earlier kits have the stands?  Looking at the He-219 and Ta-152 I am not seeing anything like a stand in the sprues for the engine. Just curious as I would love to display one of the He-219 engines. 

Thanks 

Paul 

In as far as I know the first model to include a stand was the Horten 229. 

Radu

On 4/19/2022 at 5:06 AM, Vincent said:

Nope. You are confusing with the K4 here.

• On the G14/U4 and G10/U4 the MK108 bottles are under the MW50 tank and the breathable oxygen bombs are in the left wing. The Mk108 bottles were filled up via a hatch on the right side of the rear fuselage. The breathable oxygen bombs were refilled via a hatch on the right side of the fuselage right after the cockpit
  • On the G6/U4 the MK108 bottles are under the battery tray in the tail and the breathable oxygen bombs are behind the main fuel tank. The Mk108 bottles were filled up via a hatch on the right side of the rear fuselage. The breathable oxygen bombs were refilled via a hatch on the right side of the fuselage right after the cockpit
  • On the K4 the MK108 bottles are in what used to be the 20mm ammo tray in the left wing and the breathable oxygen bombs are in the right wing. The Mk108 bottles were filled up via what used to be the 20mm loading hatch on the left wing. The breathable oxygen bombs were refilled via a hatch underneath the right wing

You can check the internal pictures of the surviving G10/U4 plane in the US before restoration for confirmation.

One problem with book printing original MT documentation is that they sometimes get the wrong context.

The K4 spare part manual, recovered crashed K4s wings, G14 part manual addendum and recovered crashed G14 wings leave no doubts on where the various bottles were

;)

Good info Vince, appreciate you taking the time to pull this together for us. 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, Vincent said:

In fact I might even buy the kit and share the build here to demonstrate what needs to be corrected

;)

No doubt some of us are already holding our breath :rolleyes: