1/32 Dragon Messerschmitt Bf110 D-3 7/ZG 26 3U + MR

monthebiff

6 hours ago, mozart said:

Almost factory-fresh Andy......looking sooo good.  My cockpit shouldn't be too far away 

Thank you Max, little more weathering needed but very happy with the general look so far.

Regards. Andy 

Cockpit completed tonight and very happy with the outcome 

20220421-215216.jpg

20220421-215333.jpg

20220421-215347.jpg

20220421-215402.jpg

Need to get the Revi gunsight fitted and then close uo the fuselage halves and then turn my attention back to all those fuel tanks!

Regards. Andy 

Edited by monthebiff

Fuselage halves all closed up today

20220422-224608.jpg

Also decided to take a slightly different approach to the instructions trying to get a nice clean fit on the belly panels as it's a tricky area on these Dragon 110s to get right. First I glued the rear section of the main belly panel and allowed it to dry and then worked forward with the final parts to be glued being the nose upper fuselage joint.

20220422-165742.jpg

20220422-165810.jpg

20220422-210249.jpg

20220422-210303.jpg

20220422-210226.jpg

20220422-222636.jpg

Definitely a better work around over the kit instructions for me giving a nice clean fitaround the lower nose area.

Regards. Andy 

Some nice progress today, first up I fitted the tail section which took some fettling to get a nice fit. Do like the look of the long tail 110's may I say.

20220423-172610.jpg

20220423-185129.jpg

Also did so me more work on the nose section. I did purchase the Aber barrel set for the 110 but to be honest the gain from it will be minimal so I am going to stay with the kit parts.

20220423-112710.jpg

20220423-112554.jpg

with the nose being such an excellent fit I'm going to leave out the gun internals until after the  main colour scheme is down and the close up the nose section. 

Regards. Andy 

@monthebiff That's looking great!! Yes, with a bit of fettling and pre-planning, you can get that nose to be a drop-fit piece like you've done :clap2:

Couple of things with the D you're probably aware of - but just in case - I think Dragon moulded the fresh air vent in on the starboard side of the fuselage just abeam of the B/F position - it's the square recess - that should be filled in on the D, was only fitted to E variants and onwards.
Also, and I might be wrong, I'll have to check my references- I know the C's didn't have the upper actuators on the horizontal stab trim tabs, I don't think the D's had them either?

9 hours ago, IainM said:

@monthebiff That's looking great!! Yes, with a bit of fettling and pre-planning, you can get that nose to be a drop-fit piece like you've done :clap2:

Couple of things with the D you're probably aware of - but just in case - I think Dragon moulded the fresh air vent in on the starboard side of the fuselage just abeam of the B/F position - it's the square recess - that should be filled in on the D, was only fitted to E variants and onwards.
Also, and I might be wrong, I'll have to check my references- I know the C's didn't have the upper actuators on the horizontal stab trim tabs, I don't think the D's had them either?

Thanks for the info Iain, I was aware of the air vent but not the actuators so will go away and have a look. 

I took the same approach with the nose on my G-4 conversion mainly as I didn't want to be knocking bits from the nose as assembly continued.

20180311_133002.jpg

Regards. Andy 

1 minute ago, monthebiff said:

Thanks for the info Iain, I was aware of the air vent but not the actuators so will go away and have a look. 

I took the same approach with the nose on my G-4 conversion mainly as I didn't want to be knocking bits from the nose as assembly continued.

20180311_133002.jpg

Regards. Andy 

Wow, that G4 nose looks awesome!!! I'm going to find that thread!!!!! That must be a magnificent build.....:bow:

I've just been through John Vasco's book looking at pictures of D's and his commentary on D's and E's - images of D tailplanes show no upper actuators on the horizontal stabs, whilst he makes a comment on one of the E images that the upper actuators were introduced from the E's onwards.

Only a little progress today after dipping in and out of the MotoGP races and F1.

Built up both engine blocks and decided to build as little as possible on to them as its not going to be seen and also wary as I remember  IainM mentioned in his excellent build that a lot of the extra pipe work fouled the engine covers.

20220423_185141.jpg

I have a couple of spare engines from a previous build so maybe build one up and detail as a stand alone piece .

Regards. Andy 

1 minute ago, IainM said:

Wow, that G4 nose looks awesome!!! I'm going to find that thread!!!!! That must be a magnificent build.....:bow:

I've just been through John Vasco's book looking at pictures of D's and his commentary on D's and E's - images of D tailplanes show no upper actuators on the horizontal stabs, whilst he makes a comment on one of the E images that the upper actuators were introduced from the E's onwards.

Thank you for that Iain as its super useful info which I wasn't aware of!

Here is the link to my G-4 conversion 

Regards. Andy