1/32 Dragon Messerschmitt Bf110 D-3 7/ZG 26 3U + MR

monthebiff

Been itching to get another 110 out of the stash and start a WIP as we don't see to many built, after some deliberation I decided on a D-3 as I've had my eye on this one for a while because of both the intereresting colour scheme and the extra drop tanks fitted.

20220307-130942.jpg

20220307-130821.jpg

I have some extras for this build on order but I'm really quite unsure about the smaller drop tank slung under the fuselage as it doesn't look much like standard Luftwaffe equipment but rather a piece of allied equipment pressed in to service.  Any ideas on this would be very helpful.

You really can't have to many Bf 110 builds on the go at once can you :rolleyes:

Regards. Andy  

1 minute ago, mozart said:

Another Bf110, fancy that! Nice one Andy, I’ll see if I can dig out anything about that drop tank, looks odd doesn’t it! 

Yes it looks very odd which has always drawn me to this airframe along with the huge 900litre drop tanks as well which I will be replacing with Profimodeller items as not a huge fan of the general shape of the kit parts.

Regards. Andy 

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Yes it looks very odd which has always drawn me to this airframe along with the huge 900litre drop tanks as well which I will be replacing with Profimodeller items as not a huge fan of the general shape of the kit parts.

Regards. Andy 

will be following this Andy!

when you get a moment, would you care to post some comparison pics of the kit vs Profi drop tanks do you think?

cheers

Nick

3 hours ago, mozart said:

It’s a 75 litre auxiliary oil tank! Source: Messerschmitt Bf110C, D and E by John Vasco. 

Mg5twY.jpg

That was quick Max, thank you! Not to sure how to replicate it but my initial thinking is look for a 48th scale under wing drop tank which will hopefully work  :rolleyes: 

Regards. Andy 

2 hours ago, nmayhew said:

will be following this Andy!

when you get a moment, would you care to post some comparison pics of the kit vs Profi drop tanks do you think?

cheers

Nick

Thanks for looking in Nick, When I have the Profimodeller bits I will do a direct comparison for you.

Regards. Andy 

8 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Been itching to get another 110 out of the stash and start a WIP as we don't see to many built, after some deliberation I decided on a D-3 as I've had my eye on this one for a while because of both the intereresting colour scheme and the extra drop tanks fitted.

20220307-130942.jpg

20220307-130821.jpg

I have some extras for this build on order but I'm really quite unsure about the smaller drop tank slung under the fuselage as it doesn't look much like standard Luftwaffe equipment but rather a piece of allied equipment pressed in to service.  Any ideas on this would be very helpful.

You really can't have to many Bf 110 builds on the go at once can you :rolleyes:

Regards. Andy  

Hi Andy

As mentioned, it is a aerodynamic, jettisonable, 75l aux oil tank used on the D-1 to D-4 variants. D-0 did not have them.
C9NU6R.jpg

This above is an illustration, from what I've seen they had a weld join /beading around the centre. I also seem to remember seeing a picture of one that indicated it wasn't totally cylindrical in cross-section, but slightly more flattened at the top and bottom. But, I do think you could easily get away with a normally shaped smaller scale drop tank.

Great choice by the way, look forward to seeing the build happen!!

6 hours ago, monthebiff said:

That was quick Max, thank you! Not to sure how to replicate it but my initial thinking is look for a 48th scale under wing drop tank which will hopefully work  :rolleyes: 

Regards. Andy 

I’ve got lots of spares from some 1/48 Bf110s Andy. I’m on the golf course today but will look later and sort out a selection for you.

1 hour ago, IainM said:

Hi Andy

As mentioned, it is a aerodynamic, jettisonable, 75l aux oil tank used on the D-1 to D-4 variants. D-0 did not have them.
C9NU6R.jpg

This above is an illustration, from what I've seen they had a weld join /beading around the centre. I also seem to remember seeing a picture of one that indicated it wasn't totally cylindrical in cross-section, but slightly more flattened at the top and bottom. But, I do think you could easily get away with a normally shaped smaller scale drop tank.

Great choice by the way, look forward to seeing the build happen!!

Thank you so much for that Iain as it answers a lot of questions! Time to cut some plastic now.

Regards. Andy 

12 hours ago, mozart said:

I’ve got lots of spares from some 1/48 Bf110s Andy. I’m on the golf course today but will look later and sort out a selection for you.

Thank you Max, hope you had a pleasant day on the golf course today. Been pondering my build during driving to and from site today and thinking about opening up the port upper engine cowls and detailing the engine on this one after seeing lots of good shots of this while researching at the weekend, not 100% sure yet though.

Regards. Andy 

3 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Thank you Max, hope you had a pleasant day on the golf course today. Been pondering my build during driving to and from site today and thinking about opening up the port upper engine cowls and detailing the engine on this one after seeing lots of good shots of this while researching at the weekend, not 100% sure yet though.

Regards. Andy 

Hi again Andy
The kit engine provides a really good starting point for a lot of detailing. I'm not really sure it was really ever designed to be built closed up - on both kits I've done so far I've had to remove quite a bit of the piping/hoses under the engine to get the lower cowls to close and grind away the forward part of the blocks where the fluid tanks are (just behind the spinners) to get the upper cowl to fit. So if you build one open and one closed, and find the cowls don't fit the closed one, it may be normal :lol:.
Check the engine bearers as well to make sure they're parallel to the thrust line, otherwise like me, you might end up with more work trying to get the cowls to fit over a skew engine........

I also vaguely remember some swearing and sanding regarding the fitting of the cowls when I built the C-7 version longer now ago than i care to admit. There was something with the oblong panel under the nose too. It required some careful fitting and gluing as it had a tendency to sink in to the fuselage and leave a step. Have just bought the D/E Nightfighter combination kit on eBay at a price that was too nice to pass, was looking for an E-2 Trop but the Nightfighter will scratch the 110 itch instead.