Bf110G-4 (early)

mozart

7 hours ago, mozart said:

OK.....I started a Revell G4 build but it was sooooo way off, and I obviously didn't have the benefits of Rutman's updates, that I binned it I think, can't quite remember what happened to it but it hasn't seen the light of day for long time!  Dragon every time for me. 

I do have a couple of Dragon kits and some AIMS conversions, which I will also get to eventually. But the Revell kit is pure nostalgia for me, and as accuracy has never really been the top priority in my builds, I'll be able to live with its limitations for the most part.

Kev

The most difficult in this kind of exercise is not the mottling in itself but how to make it regular, with the same contrast and overspray all over and at the same time keeping it random.
I pity your poor trigger finger but it’s a beautiful and impressive job, Max :clap2:

Cheers,

Quang

That mottling looks fantastic, Max!  It really takes some practice, good paint prep and a little bit of luck to get mottling to look right and you did a great job.  I also struggle with paint spit (and the opposite... paint pooling) when shooting this type of mottling. How are you going to address those areas?  I've done it by going back with the base color and using a very fine spray.  I've also used micromesh. But I agree with Andy.. don't need to mess with it too much because it looks great!

Looking absolutely outstanding so far! Really enjoying this.

Perhaps it's my laziness, but I'm wondering if you'd be willing to measure the diameter of the plastic plugs you put into the front of your engine nacelles... I'll obviously have to do the same splice on my build when it's time, and it would be helpful to be in the ballpark. Hoping you're willing :-)

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Only too pleased to help Dennis: one is 20mm, the other 21mm. I had previously thinned the inside “lips”of the resin nacelles to help them “give” a little but this wasn’t done in any measured or scientific way, just plain butchery, hence the 1mm variation! I certainly found that gluing all the elements of the nacelle in stages helps to get things to conform better, quite a bit of “muscle” from this 10 stone weakling was required at times. Had to have a beer afterwards to aid recovery!! 

Edited by mozart

Well here's something that hasn't gone well!    :blush: Of all the symbols, insignia etc that I've designed, cut and applied masks for, the Hakenkreuze with the thin white outline is the most challenging, particularly in the way in which the mask is used and painted.......this way was clearly not the best!  I pre-painted the white background having applied the "empty" mask:

XkAvE6.jpg

When dry, I replaced the Hakenkreuze mask then weeded out the central section, leaving the thin outline in place:

x6CJbb.jpg

Doesn't look good when enlarged!  Black sprayed with this result:

d4KmKg.jpg

Awful!!!  So this will be sanded back and the Hakenkreuze re-done - possibly in a "negative" way of a black background, replacing the central section and spraying white.  I've done them on my two previous Bf110s but can't remember which way round I didi it! :angry2:  (Shhhhh, it's a little too large as well but don't tell anybody, they won't notice!)

Edited by mozart

Hey Max, in this case, I’d suggest you make two separate masks: a bigger one for the white external motif and another smaller one for the black cross.

1- apply the smaller internal mask. Spray black. Remove the mask.

2- apply the larger external mask (the one for the white surround). It would be easy to adjust it around the painted motif to get an uniform white outline.

3- mask up the black painted motif

4- spray white all over

5- remove both masks

Et voilà.

With this method, no need fiddling with the pesky thin outline mask.:BANGHEAD2:

Let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

Excellent idea Quang, that’s one method that hadn’t occurred to me! I had contemplated a way using two separate masks but not quite that method……many thanks…..I’m on the case! The offending ones are already history!