Bf110G-4 (early)

mozart

Sub-sub-sub assemblies!  The exhausts and flame-dampers are such a prominent feature on Nachtjagd Bf110s that it's important to get them right.  The AIMS exhausts and dampers need careful handling and quite a lot of cleaning up due to mould lines:

t8ndm5.jpg

I've drilled out the ends of the dampers where they exit over the wing, well, three of them do!  PJ suggest putting a slight concave surface where the stubs meet the dampers......I've tried and it's not really worked well, so I prefer to fill in those gaps after the CA has set, those are weld joins:

uysWgX.jpg

je0d5X.jpg

The "sit" seems OK so far I think:

FIUzJ4.jpg

Xg919U.jpg

Also, looking at the sequence of 4 images above that @Antonio Argudo put up, you can see in the 3rd image that this bird had the double antennae leads, as opposed to the usual single lead when the radio systems were changed from the FuG III to the FuG X back in the C-2 onwards variants. Interesting, as this particular bird must have had some other radio equipment added that needed that second lead again...which leads to image 2 above, which looks as if there is only one lead.....so it looks like this particular aircraft must have had some radio equipment changed between those 2 images being taken. Or, image 3 was taken in a time period before image 2, before the equipment change was made. Very very interesting!!!

Edited by IainM
spelling edit

22 minutes ago, IainM said:

Nice work! Yep, I think you're right, the worst is probably over. Except for the canopy masking:evil_laugh: that's a loooooot of glazing to do!
That scheme is a great choice!

Yeah you’re right Iain…..but it’s a “ known quantity” and just requires a lot of patience……your masks will help for sure! :clap2:

8 hours ago, IainM said:

Also, looking at the sequence of 4 images above that @Antonio Argudo put up, you can see in the 3rd image that this bird had the double antennae leads, as opposed to the usual single lead when the radio systems were changed from the FuG III to the FuG X back in the C-2 onwards variants. Interesting, as this particular bird must have had some other radio equipment added that needed that second lead again...which leads to image 2 above, which looks as if there is only one lead.....so it looks like this particular aircraft must have had some radio equipment changed between those 2 images being taken. Or, image 3 was taken in a time period before image 2, before the equipment change was made. Very very interesting!!!

Good spot Iain! I’m not of course doing this particular aeroplane but I’m interested to see that the camouflage on the upper wing surfaces seems pretty solid rather than mottled. It’s listed as RLM 74/75/76 so perhaps they were a splinter finish?

1 hour ago, mozart said:

Good spot Iain! I’m not of course doing this particular aeroplane but I’m interested to see that the camouflage on the upper wing surfaces seems pretty solid rather than mottled. It’s listed as RLM 74/75/76 so perhaps they were a splinter finish?

I would assume that it would indeed be a 74/75 splinter on the wing surfaces. In my limited knowledge the mottling on the top wing surfaces mostly occurred when the scheme was overall 76. I've seen more images of a standard splinter of 74/75 on the wing surfaces/upper fuselage with the mottling occurring on the 76 sides than anything else, so I don't think this would be much different - unless there was definitive photographic evidence of the particular airframe.

I would say your thinking is pretty much a safe bet! ;)

10 minutes ago, mozart said:

You’ll enjoy them for sure Kev! 

They're a way off yet, unfortunately, as I really need to work my way through my current SoD collection. But in the future, I intend to build the ancient Revell G-4 kit, with all of Jerry Rutman's update and correction parts, and whatever else I can lay my hands on or scratch-build. I've been wanting to tackle that one since I was a kid. And that's just one of several I have planned!

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

They're a way off yet, unfortunately, as I really need to work my way through my current SoD collection. But in the future, I intend to build the ancient Revell G-4 kit, with all of Jerry Rutman's update and correction parts, and whatever else I can lay my hands on or scratch-build. I've been wanting to tackle that one since I was a kid. And that's just one of several I have planned!

Kev

OK.....I started a Revell G4 build but it was sooooo way off, and I obviously didn't have the benefits of Rutman's updates, that I binned it I think, can't quite remember what happened to it but it hasn't seen the light of day for long time!  Dragon every time for me. 

Took my courage in both hands this afternoon and had a go at doing the mottling, I tried to achieve a kind of spider's web effect and I think I'm reasonably happy with the result, though there's a little corrective work to do in one area where the airbrush decided to spit! 

YHOixi.jpg

73gMyY.jpg

Mask-cutting later for the crosses etc.