Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

So, as promised, another update! But, as is often the case, it's just a token one. I've been sweating over how best to mask the vacform windscreen part, as it's so thin that you can hardly feel—let alone see–any frame lines. This got me to thinking, however, that perhaps it's actually too thin. So I hit the books and discovered that the open trailing edges of the part were in fact too thin for scale. Sure, I could beef them up with styrene strip, but then I may as well just use the kit part, which would be easier to mask anyway. So I did. Here's the comparison:

fu3kSr.jpg

The kit part is too thick, but looks much more convincing on the model, whereas the vac part looks anaemic. Mark had already added some styrene strip to the base of the kit part, presumably to help a bit with the fit. I must remember to paint them before I install it! I still intend to use the vac sliding part, however.

Here's the kit part on the model, after a wash and a bath in floor polish:

oPhH5w.jpg

Once it's masked, painted, and installed, I can really get on with the paint job then. Hopefully the next update will be a bit more substantial!

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Ayovan said:

You're close Kev.

You going to make it?

Not a hope, I’m afraid. Struggling to find time at the bench at the moment, but I definitely plan to finish it. Hopefully I can get at least one more update in before the GB ends.

Kev

Looks like I won't be adding anything to this build before the GB ends after all. I'll be moving it over to the WiP forum soon, and I do plan to finish it, but I might move back to my even more stalled Buchon build and finish that first.

Sorry for the let down, folks!

Kev

• 7 months later...

So, I'm pleased to report that this one has finally made it back to the workbench! And as noted in my last post in this thread, after finally being able to make a return to active model building, I decided to push on with the Buchon first. But now that that build is nearing completion, I've been able to turn my attention to the Mustang, even if only a little.

I prefer, where possible, to mask and install clear parts prior to painting - especially windscreens, as they often need to be blended in with the fuselage, or at least to a greater extent than the natural fit of the kit provides. And so it is with this one, and having decided to go with the kit windscreen rather than the alternative vac part, I set about masking it, ready for installation. The problem was, my normally reliable, tried-and-true methods for canopy masking all let me down! I usually consider myself pretty adept at this task, but this time around, I had to relent and do something I normally don't do: buy canopy masks!

I opted for the full Montex set, which was pretty much all I could find that included canopy masks designed specifically for this kit:

p0WaC5.jpg

It also includes wheel masks, which I'm already putting to use. But I may even use the national markings too, even though I do have alternatives.

Being stiff and sticky, the canopy masks were a little tricky to apply accurately, but they do at least include both internal and external masks:

Q0ml9t.jpg

kypnyk.jpg

I'm hoping they don't create too much of a parallax effect.

And a test-fit on the model:

7x0m5Y.jpg

The thing I'm stuck on now, however, is that I'm not certain what colour I should paint the interior frames. Interior Green? Black? Something else? Same goes for the coaming under the windscreen. Any advice, fellas?

Kev

The thing I'm stuck on now, however, is that I'm not certain what colour I should paint the interior frames. Interior Green? Black? Something else? Same goes for the coaming under the windscreen. Any advice, fellas?

This is a restored Mustang, but here's what it looks like: the interior frames are painted black inside.
Is this also true for Mustangs during WW2?

sod1.jpg7knw.jpg

Edited by Furie