Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

OK, so on the back of some Star Wars-inspired mojo rejuvenation, I've finally made it back to this one. I tried to be too clever by far with masking and painting the spinner, and went through a couple of iterations before getting it over the line. You'll recall from my previous attempt that it was close, but not good enough, so I stripped it back, primed it with Mr. Surfacer 1500 (grey), and then repainted the yellow with SMS RLM 04:

0N51LF.jpg

Someone on Facebook recommended that I try a variation of the circle mask technique. This involves placing the spinner into a suitably-sized hole in something, which acts as a mask that you can spray either under or over. I first attempted to adapt the approach using circle masks from Uschi:

j1nlJ8.jpg

The masks turned out to be too flimsy, so my next attempt involved cutting holes in paper card stock with a compass cutter. This also failed, as the template wouldn't stay in place while trying to airbrush the part. In the end, I pulled out my trusty circle template, which proved more adequate for the job:

HFnhqN.jpg

I didn't take any photos of the process, but the aim was to mask the lower demarcation, and paint red below the mask, on the bottom of the spinner. I basically took some silly putty, wrapped it around the base of the spinner, and then squished it down with the circle template until the spinner was flush in the hole. The silly putty then supported the circle template somewhat, and also sealed the mask. Still with me? Clunky explanation, I know.

Anyway, I repeated the process for the upper demarcation, and even though it wasn't a complete success—mainly due to the silly putty creeping up through the mask and creating an uneven result—it was near enough that I could tidy up the straggly bits with some masking tape and touch-ups, and call it done.

WnRKDs.jpg

76jZwT.jpg

Never had so much angst over a spinner before! But hopefully I can keep some momentum going with the build now.

Kev

Creeping ever forward, I've now got the prop blades painted and ready for installation:

gKCnxz.jpg

And the bird itself now has a yellow nose, in preparation for some red chequers:

z2lYxb.jpg

I still haven't made up my mind about how heavy to go with the weathering on this one. I know that it's almost tragically weathered in the photo of the real thing that's been posted in this thread, but I'm not sure I want to go that far. :hmmm:

Kev

Thanks, fellas. It seems every time I post an update, I'm having to apologise for how paltry it is. This one's no exception, though I'm pleased to say that I've now assembled the prop:

hKGoxa.jpg

I haven't been able to hide carrier film on the decals so far, despite a heavy gloss coat, lightly sanding them, and then a flat coat. I'll keep working on it, but I need to be careful, as the blade attachments are actually a bit fragile. If you look carefully, you can also see that the flat coat caused some minor discoloration near the crown of the spinner. I'm rapidly heading towards the decision to heavily weather this one!

In the meantime, I'm working on setting up some cut files for paint masks. I won't be doing the national insignia at this stage, as I'm pretty sure I've got some commercial ones laying about, and I may as well use them!

Kev

1 hour ago, Scale32 said:

Kev, try applying another coat of gloss clear to seal the decal. Then flat coat I think you'll have less dramas but then again decals have a mind of their own!

Cheers Bevan 

That's the plan! I'm going to give them another light sand first, as I think I made a mistake the first time around by using a sanding sponge. I think the sanding step requires something more rigid. Then I'll give it another gloss coat or two, followed by another flat coat. Hopefully it will have improved to the point of acceptability by then.

Kev

21 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That's the plan! I'm going to give them another light sand first, as I think I made a mistake the first time around by using a sanding sponge. I think the sanding step requires something more rigid. Then I'll give it another gloss coat or two, followed by another flat coat. Hopefully it will have improved to the point of acceptability by then.

Kev

I just re read your post Kev, after I rub the decal I apply another gloss coat and without rubbing it apply the flat coat directly over it. Or keep repeating the first step until the edge has disappeared. I agree that something more sturdy needs to be employed. 

Cheers Bevan