Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, chaps. I'm pleased to report that I've made just a smidge more progress! Test-fitting showed that the little ridges just inside the cockpit coaming were going to prevent the instrument panel - and therefore the entire cockpit - from sitting right up where it's supposed to:

9cjJWi.jpg

I suspect they're there to support the kit instrument panel, and probably the resin one is supposed to fit right in there too. But whether I messed up the geometry, or the alignment is simply poor, they were in the way now, so out came the Dremel:

a9afCS.jpg

While repainting the area, I decided to do the engine bay too, just in case:

kmAxWH.jpg

And the resulting test-fit:

ZJZFoX.jpg

Seems better to me, even though it's a bit fast and loose in there. You can see in the photo below the gaps between the resin and kit sidewalls that I spoke about earlier:

AhAVQJ.jpg

They probably won't be quite as dramatic as that once everything's closed up properly, but that's a little way off yet.

I've been playing around with the engine in preparation for attaching the Moskit exhausts, but I have a question for anyone who has built this kit before: how the heck does the engine attach to the rest of the airframe? It seems to be designed to just float around in the engine bay, held in place by the exhausts and propeller. Any inside knowledge here would be much appreciated!

Kev

Time for another update! Well, half an update, anyway. I decided to push ahead and see what I could make of getting the engine into place, and test-fitting made it obvious that the exhausts really needed to be fitted in order to help support and locate the engine within the fuselage halves. I was anxious, however, about getting the placement of the Moskit exhausts right, as failing to do so would mean that the engine might sit too low, too high, or not even straight. I'm still mulling some ideas about how to support the engine more explicitly, but in the meantime, here are the Moskit exhausts glued into place:

SIG8YM.jpg

They are absolutely exquisite, and terrifyingly fragile! I attached them using flexible black CA (AK's Black Widow product). I'll mask them off and give the engine a quick coat of unifying black paint, but hopefully little to none of it will be seen on the finished model. Check out those openings, though:

ToegMr.jpg

I also fitted the kit firewall, mainly in the hopes that it would help support the engine (I don't think it will), but also to generally stabilise this area of the fuselage when the two halves are joined:

ldwvxD.jpg

A coat of interior green is coming...

I found among the box of aftermarket products a small, nondescript sheet of photo-etch parts, and it took me ages to work out that it was from the Dragon P-51 kit. It contained some seat belts and a pair of grilles for the radiator duct, so I set about adapting the latter to fit the Hasegawa parts:

WyXfEL.jpg

For the smaller grille, I had to patch up the width using some of the frame itself, and both grilles will be trimmed to fit once I'm satisfied that their bonds are nice and strong (I used Gator's Grip for the larger one). I tried to take a photo showing the smaller intake grille from the front, which I think will look the part in situ:

aGkaiv.jpg

Again, these mods are really just to provide the impression of some detail on the finished model, using whatever I can find in the two boxes of parts I have. The PE will create a tiny gap where the intake grille meets the fuselage, but that'll be easy to deal with, and the additional detail will be worth it.

So, half an update because I only got halfway through most of the planned work. Hopefully we'll see the finished results in the next update!

Thanks as always for looking in.

Kev

Hey Kev, I have a couple of these oldies and when I was building the Revell, I was looking for

replacement canopies. When I looked at the Hasegawa , the canopy is significantly wider but

it fits the kit fairly well. So I measured the fuselage width on both and discovered that the Hasegawa

kit is very close to the Revell 'except' for the cockpit area, which is also wider. Keep an eye on the

canopy fit when adjusting the width when attaching the fuselage halves.

Looking good so far.

23 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Kev, I have a couple of these oldies and when I was building the Revell, I was looking for

replacement canopies. When I looked at the Hasegawa , the canopy is significantly wider but

it fits the kit fairly well. So I measured the fuselage width on both and discovered that the Hasegawa

kit is very close to the Revell 'except' for the cockpit area, which is also wider. Keep an eye on the

canopy fit when adjusting the width when attaching the fuselage halves.

Looking good so far.

Thanks, Mike. I have a Squadron vac canopy at the ready, allegedly designed for this kit, so we'll see how it goes. I do see some challenges ahead with getting the fuselage halves together, though.

Kev

Trying to get a little bit done every day on this build, which means I have another update for you guys today!

If you recall my efforts with the PE grilles from the last post, I mentioned that I glued the larger one in place with Gator's Grip. It's a good glue, but the surface area involved for gluing is tiny, and I was a bit worried the glue wouldn't survive my attempt to trim the grille back to fit the kit part. While it did survive that process, it was hanging on for dear life, and ready to fall off at the slightest provocation. It certainly wouldn't survive a dry-brush! While I was pondering how to save it without removing and re-gluing it, I remembered that only yesterday I had bought the product below on a whim while at the supermarket:

LVoSJ9.jpg

Yes, brushable super glue! I wondered if this might save the day, simply by brushing a thin coat over the top of the grille in situ, hopefully sealing it in place. Well, I'm happy to report that it worked! The glue itself is medium viscosity, and the brush is a little large, but if you're careful, it's a great way to apply CA to a large area in a controlled manner. I'll be using it again, for sure. (Photos of the results in the next update, after I've finished painting it.)

You may also recall that I mentioned I was mulling over some ideas for dealing with the floating engine problem. Well, this is what I came up with:

l9T721.jpg

wGfBq6.jpg

Basically, I found some aluminium tubing that matched the diameter of the prop shaft (2mm OD - I would have preferred brass for strength, but didn't have any in this size), snipped off the kit part, drilled suitable holes front and back, inserted the tubing right down the guts, and then trimmed it to length. It's secured with CA at each end (brushed on!). I also drilled a hole into the tank (oil?) in front of the firewall, to accept the tubing out of the rear of the engine, and support that end:

oKw9gX.jpg

And here's the obligatory test fit:

V5nbM7.jpg

It's still pretty loose in there, and will still require the prop assembly to lock it in place properly. But at least the rear end is taken care of, and it will make joining the fuselage halves much less ambiguous.

Kev

9 minutes ago, mc65 said:

pretty good idea, that shaft, I think I'll shamelessy copy it!:goodjob:

the exhausts, on the other hand, seem a bit strange and naked to me, for a P51 ... my impression?

They'll look better when the upper cowl is in place. You don't see too many Mustangs without unshrouded exhausts, but the one I'm building does, which happily lets me use these Moskit exhausts - which would otherwise go to waste, and that would be a shame!

Kev

Just caught up with this Kev, it’s great to see you back at the bench and cutting plastic again. I like the progress you’re making with the Mustang, especially the thought that you’re having to give to achieving a good fit of all the parts, the engine in particular, my kind of modelling! Keep it going my friend, very impressive so far……and lovely clear pics. :clap2:

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I'm back with another update!

One of the issues that plagues a lot of older Mustang kits (in all scales), is the nasty seam line on this exit ramp (I'm not sure what it is, actually) underneath the fuselage:

qUAvZS.jpg

The common way to fix this is to cut it out and replace it with a single piece of styrene sheet, which is what I'll be doing:

z8SbqJ.jpg

I also created a small set of shelves for the new panel to rest on, and will be installing it once the fuselage halves are joined:

IetZhA.jpg

But there's still a bit of work to do before I can join the fuselage together, and my next challenge was dealing with the tail wheel. Hasegawa would have you trap the part inside the fuselage at this stage, and I really can't stand that approach, so I tried to engineer a solution that would allow me to install the tail wheel at the end. My first approach was a bust, but I eventually settled on gluing a segment of styrene tubing to one of the mounting points in the fuselage:

QQCoLP.jpg

nOuAy1.jpg

I reinforced the join with CA, but I do have concerns about its strength. Hopefully it will hold! Next step was to modify the tail wheel to suit this new approach, which entailed removing the cross beam meant to seat into the kit mounting points:

Xgnht5.jpg

I still had to drill out the styrene tubing slightly to get a nice fit, but I have no doubt this will work out fine, as long as the tubing holds:

NbblGl.jpg

Now I can simply glue it into place at the end!

PkNT67.jpg

Next up, finishing this part, ready for installation:

M9P2Vu.jpg

I wasn't happy with Hasegawa's fits-where-it-touches approach here, so I reinforced the joins with some stryene strip, and hid the inevitable gaps with some black sprue from the kit:

KGOBGa.jpg

I also used a dollop of black CA to help hide the gaps. There's not so much I can do on the other fuselage half unfortunately, due to the ambiguous location of the part itself. But I did take an educated guess and popped some black sprue there, as the gaps on the sides of the grille are large enough to be noticeable. Test fitting would soon prove that I guessed right!

You will also notice that the cockpit now appears to be in position. That's because it is!

Ls9E9F.jpg

Of course, I mis-located it the first time around, and had to rip it out and reposition it about a millimetre aft. All good now. Time to pop the engine in and test fit the fuselage halves!

DQd2dR.jpg

And with the upper cowl in place:

jj7THq.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that - especially given the aftermarket cockpit, modifications I've made, and the generally imprecise fit of the kit components. Tomorrow I'll paint the tubing for the tail wheel, and start joining the fuselage together for real!

Kev