Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D Mustang

LSP_Kevin

On 3/20/2022 at 6:18 PM, MikeMaben said:

tweaked a little ...

fFRME5u.jpg

What's the white/silver patch on the tail? And is it on both sides? The image that Brad linked to earlier is much higher resolution than this one, so I guess I should go have a poke around on it and see what I can see.

Kev

OK, time for some more modelling! This is once again more of a token update to help keep the ball rolling, but I can at least report some decent progress with the cockpit.

Firstly, the instrument panel:

xG3ExI.jpg

The outer section and central column are resin, while the centre panel is the photo-etch and acetate combo seen earlier. Placards came from the Eduard set, designed for the kit cockpit. The yellow line is a decal (4 pieces actually), and looks a bit rough at this magnification; however, it does the job at normal viewing size.

Next up, the two cockpit side panels:

uz8C4K.jpg

wezDj3.jpg

Placards are once again from the Eduard set. Presented with apologies to all our Mustang aficionados! Just trying to make it look busy and colourful. I've also made some progress on the seat, but have decided to finish it off before presenting it. Hopefully it'll be part of the next update!

Kev

I meant to have another update for you guys by now, but I've been stalled by the need to replace about half of my collection of oil paints (all the important ones!), which I use extensively for washes. In the meantime, I've been experimenting with acrylic washes on the seat, but am yet to be convinced. Anyway, I've got replacement oil paints on the way, so one way or another, I should have another update on this build soon.

Kev

Finally, an update to this glacial build! I'm pleased to report that I've finally finished the cockpit, so here's a brief sequence of photos to prove it.

IECCQe.jpg

8bTRpp.jpg

SrOX2V.jpg

KS7ToS.jpg

Xji3AT.jpg

QhjlyX.jpg

I'll be the first to concede that this isn't necessarily my finest work, but I think it looks OK - especially if you consider that accuracy is far from a primary concern here. I've since glued the sidewalls into place, and the fit was merely OK. Once they're secure enough, I'll be able to do a proper test fit into the fuselage. A dry fit suggested that I might have to flare the upper sidewalls out a bit to be flush with sides of the fuselage, so I've only glued them along the bottom; that way, I've got some wiggle room at the top should I need to push them outwards to meet the kit parts. I suspect this build is only going to get more difficult from here!

Kev