Flying Start Models Slingsby T.31B - RAF Air Cadets

Iain

Placeholder whilst I finish putting a full in-box review together - this will be a fairly quick (hopefully) build in coming weeks.

As an ex. Air Cadet myself (who ended up commanding a squadron as an adult) I'm really drawn by this subject, even though my early gliding was in a different type.

This is a very high quality 3D printed kit, designed and made by our own Tim Perry (@wunwinglow) and shortly available to order.

Will post a link to the review when I put 'live' but, in the mean time, a wee taster:

2427-1.jpg

2427-4.jpg

2427-6.jpg

2427-17.jpg

2427-49.jpg

2427-65.jpg

2427-88.jpg

"All clear above and behind - take up slack - all out!"

Iain

Great stuff Iain, looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

I'll have to dig out my log book to see if I have a record of any that I flew in. Our squadron flew from RAF Syerston where a railway ran adjacent to the airfield boundary. One particular instructor liked to "strafe" any unsuspecting trains as they passed. It was a blast peeling into a tight turn with the instructor making "dagga, dagga, dagga" noises from the back seat! :lol:

Eager to see more :speak_cool:

8 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Great stuff Iain, looking forward to seeing this one come together. 

I'll have to dig out my log book to see if I have a record of any that I flew in. Our squadron flew from RAF Syerston where a railway ran adjacent to the airfield boundary. One particular instructor liked to "strafe" any unsuspecting trains as they passed. It was a blast peeling into a tight turn with the instructor making "dagga, dagga, dagga" noises from the back seat! :lol:

Eager to see more :speak_cool:

I should be able to suggest some appropriate serials, even if you can't locate your log book nowadays!! 

I now have the first batch of kits available for sale, interested modellers can see more details on the web site, www.flyingstartmodel.com . Ordering is simple, just let me know the items you wish to purchase and your postal details via e-mail, and I can send you a Paypal invoice when the kit is ready to send. 

https://flyingstartmodels.com/Flying-Start-Models-T31B-Cadet-Project.html

Any questions, ask away!

Tim, Bristol, UK

Edited by wunwinglow

Some quiet time this evening, so have made a start on the T.31B whilst sat watching an original Star Trek episode...

Port wing and the fuselage removed from their support trees (that remind me of a Roller Coaster structure!) and the wing given a quick sanding to remove the slight 'pips' left, after the supports removed using a sharp set of Tamiya side cutters.

Going to halt progress there so I can get some photos in daylight tomorrow - and provide notes for anyone who hasn't used 3D Resin Printed parts before.

Removing the supports looks daunting at first, but really is straightforward.

Support removal and a quick sanding leaves you with really nice parts, ready for assembly.

Hopefully an update tomorrow evening with photos and, maybe, some assembly!

Iain

Separating those seat belts from the supports looks like a dicey proposition.

I'm interested to see your notes on working the 3D resin stuff.  Is the resin flexible in any way?

8 hours ago, kensar said:

Separating those seat belts from the supports looks like a dicey proposition.

I'm interested to see your notes on working the 3D resin stuff.  Is the resin flexible in any way?

The resin used on the straps is a so-called tough one, but the straps are pretty skinny, so this is still a bit of a work in progress, and I will amend them if needed, in the light of feedback from reviewers and customers. One of the advantages of not having a tonne and a half of tool steel to re-machine to make any alterations!!