Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

On 7/25/2022 at 10:52 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Ghost seams are my modelling nemesis! But this is looking great otherwise, Andy.

Kev

Thanks Kev. I usually don't have issue with seams too much but this will be the 3rd time to fix this one.  Not sure why it keeps popping. I did have some heavy rework in the paint at that area of the fuselage..maybe Im just getting a little too hammer fisted with it...

Edited by Ayovan

Glued, filled and sanded the seam (again) Used a little Mr Surfacer 1000 where I screwed up rescribing the panel lines... (I really gotta quit screwin up stuff). I'll fix that too when it dries. :whistle:  The primer I sprayed is almost a dead match for the RAF medium sea gray used for the underside. LOL

GG72Q4.jpg

I mentioned I was planning on doing this same aircraft again, and have another kit (same one) waiting on the sidelines. I forgot to drill out the locations for the centerline sway braces the first time around, so I drilled out the holes on the new kit, and will measure to locate on this one. I also did some playing around trying to get fuel stains and streaks on the drop tank at the fill cap.

AH2Mwm.jpg

KqHky2.jpg

IYF579.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

On 7/26/2022 at 1:55 AM, Ayovan said:

So I did get some touch up done. It aint perfect. I plan on doing this same aircraft again, in the not so distant future. I found several things I'll do different next time, including the D-Day stripes.

Just checking into this great build again.  Some really great stuff going on here Andy.  I was curious what you meant by the above statement?  

3 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Just checking into this great build again.  Some really great stuff going on here Andy.  I was curious what you meant by the above statement?  

Thanks Troy. I appreciate the encouraging words. The different part is mosly techniques, and details. I wish I had put more detail into the engine, wheels wells, and cockpit. The model deserves more than I was able to put into it, but I'm learning. Technique wise, painting the markings was a challenge. Now that I have a little taste of it, I think I can do it better next time around. Using more/ better aftermarket parts and pieces, and detailing them better, and learning to do a little scratch building will help. And most importantly learning not to rush. I made several blunders on this model by not taking a little time, and hurrying steps and processes. Woooosa....relax and enjoy the build. :)

Patience has never been one of my strong points, but I'm trying to learn how to do that too....lol

I'm still not happy with the stripes. Moving on to other parts that need finishing, like the landing gear. I'll revisit the stripes later . They are starting to wear on me a little.

I did 2  ductless split units in the house (2 ton each). Best move I made in a while. Very efficient. Cools the entire house in under 10 minutes, and cost about 25% of what the central air used to cost to run. I don't know if it's still available, but Edison gave me a $1000 rebate for each unit. The units were $1200 each. Line sets, breakers, wire, and other miscellaneous items came to about $750. I forked out under $3000 installed and got $2000 back from Edison. I did the work myself, so to have someone install would be a tad more for sure, but if the rebates are still out there, you can save a pretty penny.

BTW, I used the IFF lights lenses you made they worked really well. Thank you.

2gUfU4.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

Good enough....now on to the bottom side.

u9OIJd.jpg

From this photo, I'm going to say the bottom stripes have  full black stripes and the white appears to have a black border. I have profiles showing it both with/without full black stripes and with/without borders on the white bottom. I also have sets of decals showing both ways too. I'm going to go with the photo. Probably the most accurate...:P

IYF579.jpg

Thanks Dennis. Patience is a virtue that I never had, definitely a work in progress. Unfortunately work has got in the way a little bit, but I'm going to try and finish up before the GB ends. I don't have too good of a record of finishing these things on a deadline...:unsure:

Made a little more progress this morning. I'll be really glad when I finish the D-Day stripes.

Zh5ibN.jpg

Edited by Ayovan