Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

I’ve just whizzed through this thread as well

very pleasing overall effect; good that you have taken the plunge on masks - once you do there is no going back you will find :)

a couple of critique comments:

- the blue in the decal stars and bars looked quite pale - much lighter than I would have expected - and seems to be replicated in the masked effort?

- I could only really see in one pic properly but the yellow tail code paint looks rough and almost gloopy?

I know the kill markings require decals (booooo!) but you may wish to consider HGW wet transfers for the stencils. They make an excellent P-47 set which I have used, and the Jug has quite a few dotted around!

best of luck with the rest of the build

Nick

13 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Looking good Andy!  I'll bet there is a lot of masking ahead for the black invasion stripes.

Ernest

Thanks Ernest. I started doing the black outline last weekend. I wasnt all that happy with my efforts. Maybe it got better during the week...

Working out of town has severely cut into my modeling time. Even when I'm home, it seems I only have time enough for the honey- do's that I wasn't there for all week. 

I did paint some black boarders on some of the D-day stripes, but forgot to post any pics before heading back out of town. They do need a fair amount of touch up work. Nothing I really want to post anyway. 

Hopefully I'll have something to show this next weekend.

Thanks Maru. I kind of stalled out, but not by choice.. I think I might start bring my modeling stuff out of town with me next week. At least some of it. I need a diversion from this job in the evenings.

Im really starting to appreciate the therapeutic value of modeling. :piliot::lol:

3 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Thanks Maru. I kind of stalled out, but not by choice.. I think I might start bring my modeling stuff out of town with me next week. At least some of it. I need a diversion from this job in the evenings.

Im really starting to appreciate the therapeutic value of modeling. :piliot::lol:

Thats it, absolutely.  Its a diversion that requires full attention.  I need to build, although im stallled on my version of this build…

• 3 weeks later...

I finally spent a little of my fathers day, trying to make some progress on this thing. I'm still working on the fuselage invasion stripes. Plan A was to use the kit decals. They aren't even close, so on to plan B.  I'd have to paint them. My first attempt masking wasn't very satisfactory. Now we move to plan C. I tried to make some masks but I'm finding the compound curves in the fuselage are making that less and less likely (a little over my head). Plan D... I took a good long look at the Tech Mod decal sheet that Bill gave me. No dice with those either. They just don't fit. So now I'm on plan E...lol

Plan E is to revert back to plan B :mental: and mask them off again. I'll just have to do a better job this time around. Those black borders are _ _ _ _ _ _ _ killing me.

Next time I build a P-47, I'm going NMF, with no D-Day stripes :P

Edited by Ayovan

You have probably tried this already but have you tried the Tamiya masking tape for curves, I found it prettty useful for complex shapes, I even used it for guiding my scriber.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265204401245?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIu7CGksy7-AIVQ2HmCh24fABLEAQYBCABEgIvr_D_BwE

Cheers

Dennis

• 1 month later...

I haven't been able to do much in modeling for several weeks , but did get a chance to sit down this weekend and play airplanes for a while. The fuselage invasion stripes...Ah yes...

So I did get some touch up done. It aint perfect. I plan on doing this same aircraft again, in the not so distant future. I found several things I'll do different next time, including the D-Day stripes.

Vvc8n7.jpg

PBh61a.jpg

Edited by Ayovan