Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

5 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

i had a lot of trouble getting them exact.  Someone suggested a little water to help them move, which i havent tried yet. 

I laid some fine line masking tape down as a guide to get the stencil aligned before burnishing it down. That seemed to work pretty good. The clear contact paper made a world of difference.

Thank you for your help Bill. Painting the stars n bars, and codes was a first for me. Now that I have done it a little, and seen the end result, I think I'm ruined on decals :). It just looks so much better.

Andy

Thank you Ernest. The fade on the red was a fortunate accident in shading, but it does look good. Even a squirrel finds a nut now and then.:P

Edited by Ayovan

I must say that looking at your work makes me want to go up to the attic immediately and bring down my box, to copy your creation as much as possible!

terrific painting, the last additions make it even more amazing.

kudos, Paolo

I've just been catching up with this one, and it now has particular relevance as I've just started this kit myself.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:53 PM, Ayovan said:

Thanks Ernest. I really do like this model. The P-47 is iconic after all, but the Hasegawa model is a really nice version. It fits together so nicely, I'm starting to regret not putting more into it. It merits a higher detailing than my limited skill sets allow. I will do my best, and I'm sure the end result will more than meet my expectations. 

Andy

That's certainly my experience so far.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Ayovan said:

LoL, they went good except for where I stuck my thumb in the wet paint on one stripe.  I almost missed covering some of the white (masked off to shoot the black). I shot black on one wing before I noticed. I thought "whew...I almost screwed up". Then I proceeded to pick up the model by the wing I JUST painted. As I did I realized where my thumb was...DOH! Dumb. Really dumb... :doh:

Now I need to do the fuselage. I think I might try and use the decals for that. Maybe...

Andy

I have no doubt that if you ever come across a modeller who says he's never done anything like this, he's either forgetful or lying.  :lol:

Your Jug is looking really great.

Edited by MikeC

Well I've just spent a pleasant hour skimming through this build and I am most impressed, lots of stuff for me to copy, the paintwork is most impressive, and as every build thread should contain it has a semi disaster and a great recovery.

Must go through it again.

I've not been very active modelling recently so I hope this will get me back into it.

Cheers

Dennis

9 hours ago, Ayovan said:

Thank you Mike, and Dennis. This has been a fun build. I made a a few blunders on it, but I'm learning as I go. :)

At our age, it's the journey, not the destination.  As we discussed, that's why I build, and that's why it's taken me years on my own Jug to get "almost" done.

But, just between us chickens, your destination is going to by very nice, the paint and markings are excellent, the build is very clean.