Hasegawa P-47D, Gabby Gabreski 1944

On 3/12/2022 at 4:20 PM, Citadelgrad said:

I cant recover my own photo after the great photobucket purge, but you can see it on page one of my build, first photo i ever posted here   

really shallow but pretty visible. 

after i painted the wings, i noticed two more on the top of the wing just ahead of the flaps. I left those….but they are the same, about two inches long and pretty apparent. 

I started work on the wings last night. I can hardly see the sink marks on the bottom of the wing, but the ones on the top forward of the flaps are really noticeable. There is another prominent one on the top port side horizontal stabilizer root that is really deep. I'll be filling and fixing those for sure

Edited by Ayovan

Sink marks? Oh my... I have to check my box on the stash!

great work til now, it seems a good honest Hasegawa kit, fully enjoyable...

maybe I was wrong to open the P51B box instead of this one!

about returning to work, I must say that the pandemic, in addition to leaving me and all my colleagues flat on the ground, literally, being employed by an airline that choosen to end any activity, has given me the opportunity to observe my life from a different point of view, and now -given that the current crisis in civil aviation sector give me the chance- I don't know how much I want to get back on the hamster wheel where I've been racing for the last 30 years. maybe it's time to review my life and decide what to do with what's left.

cheers, 

Paolo

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, MARU5137 said:

Good to see We still have humor in these weird times!

:rofl:

also nice to hear you are progressing well on your build.

:clap2:

photos ? :please: thank you.

Well since you asked so nice...

I did get a little time today (my 1 day off) to work on the plane a little. I painted the wheel wells, and joined the wings to the fuselage. I have built a couple of Hasegawa models recently, but this has been the best fitting model I have built to date. the wing roots fit together perfect to the fuselage. GshzdJ.jpg

8XScWA.jpg

On 3/24/2022 at 4:11 AM, Ayovan said:

Paolo, covid and complcations due to covid almost got me twice, had me in the hospital for 2 months and put me out of commission for 14 months.

It tends to put your life in perspective, to say the least.

I'm only 1/2  the A-hole I used to be :rolleyes:

Jeez, it really knocked you man!...that would not have been nice at all,....guy at work only had a mild bout compared to you, but weeks later, he still says he's got no energy at all from about lunch time on..

Nice work on the Jug!...she's shaping up well!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

12 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Nice progress!  This is a good looking model; I wanted to build a P-47 for this GB, but unfortunately could not find one to buy.

Ernest

Thanks Ernest. I really do like this model. The P-47 is iconic after all, but the Hasegawa model is a really nice version. It fits together so nicely, I'm starting to regret not putting more into it. It merits a higher detailing than my limited skill sets allow. I will do my best, and I'm sure the end result will more than meet my expectations. 

Andy

Hi Andy,

If I ever finish mine, we should get them together for a phot feature and grab that beer.

I have been meaning to ask and your last photo reminded me, is your propeller shaft too long/does it make the prop stick out too far?  I am not sure I assembled it correctly, but mine seems to stick out too far from the engine.  It seems like the part that goes into the front of the engine is too long, while the part that goes in the back of the prop seems oK, unless I got it backwards.  I will check tonight and post a photo. 

Looks great, you are way faster than I am.    

8 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

Hi Andy,

If I ever finish mine, we should get them together for a phot feature and grab that beer.

I have been meaning to ask and your last photo reminded me, is your propeller shaft too long/does it make the prop stick out too far?  I am not sure I assembled it correctly, but mine seems to stick out too far from the engine.  It seems like the part that goes into the front of the engine is too long, while the part that goes in the back of the prop seems oK, unless I got it backwards.  I will check tonight and post a photo. 

Looks great, you are way faster than I am.    

I don't know, but I will have to check now  lol. I just put the prop together about an hour ago, and a coat of yellow oxide on the inside of the cowl panels.

When they dry a little more, I'll fit the cowl together and have a look.

Andy

4I5iQn.jpg

Edited by Ayovan

Oh, yeah, yours looks fine.  Mine protrudes a lot more. Ill have to see what i can do.  

ps, this reminds me of my least favorite part of this build—the cowl seams run right through the large cowling latches, those were a bear to get rid of.  Save some time and make some out of scrap pe or fine styrene sheet.  I did it the hard way…

Hdrb0B.jpg

Edited by Citadelgrad

42 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

Oh, yeah, yours looks fine.  Mine protrudes a lot more. Ill have to see what i can do.  

ps, this reminds me of my least favorite part of this build—the cowl seams run right through the large cowling latches, those were a bear to get rid of.  Save some time and make some out of scrap pe or fine styrene sheet.  I did it the hard way…

Hdrb0B.jpg

Ahhh! This is why I save all my pe scraps and leftovers. Thanks for the heads up.