PCM Spitfire Mk.IXc

dennismcc

• 1 month later...

Well time for an update again as there is a bit of progress and as usual silly mistakes !

Time for the masks, I was going to go for my old method of Blu Tac sausages and paper masks using the "store bought" masks as a guide as I prefer the softer demarcation that this method gives but laziness got the better of me and I used the masks from the last Spitfire build from AML to paint the camouflage.

spacer.png

And on with the masks

spacer.png

Some modifications were required as the masks were intended for the Hobbyboss Mk.V kit so bits of Tamya tape were used to fill in gaps.

spacer.png

The difference was especially noticeable on the nose which on the IX is longer, but I got there in the end and on with the Dark Green (Xtracolor X1).

All went well until I noticed a slight problem with the masking, I'd missed a bit.

spacer.png

It was one of those "I'll fix that later" ones which I forgot to do in my excitement at getting the green on, so I finished what I could then let everything dry and added more masking tape, then finished the job.

Once that was done it was time to get on with the markings, the fuselage roundels had been attached earlier over a yellow base so there was only the red white and blue to sort out, the upper wing masks had been attached over a blue base so just the red to go on, I had forgotten to sort out the underwing roundels so I would need to sort out the masks for those.

First up was to cut out some dummy roundels using Tamiya tape.

spacer.png

These were then positioned on the wings using the painting diagram as a guide.

spacer.png

Thin strips of Tamiya tape was then used to mark out the position for the mask and the mask was marked to line up with the dummy roundel.

spacer.png

The mask was then applied and the wing masked off ready for paint.

spacer.png

The white and red portions of the mask were removed and the white airbrushed.

spacer.png

When the white was fully dry the white mask was re applied and the red airbrushed, the best paint that I have found for this is the Sovereign Colourcoats ACRN22 RAF FAA Red.

More soon.

Cheers

Dennis

As per the underwing roundels the fuselage roundels had their red and white masks removed and the white airbrushed, this was left to dry and then the  white mask section was carefully replaced.

spacer.png

Then it was time for the red, the underwing, fuselage and upper wing roundels sections were all airbrushed red.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once the red had dried some oversized circles were made up to cover the red centres on the fuselage and lower wings roundels, oversized so that there was no gap between the red and white sections.

spacer.png

Not forgetting to cover the hole in the centre.

spacer.png

Blue section removed on the under wing roundels.

spacer.png

Blue section removed on the fuselage roundels.

spacer.png

Fuselage roundel masked off ready for the blue, I must get some Maketar curved masks, they would have been faster than doing this..

spacer.png

Time for the Blue, from Sovereign Colourcoats

spacer.png

And all done and the masks removed from the roundels, codes and Sky band, just some repair work on one of the code letters required.

spacer.png

I pullled the rudder off getting the camouflage masking off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's it for now.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Very nice Dennis  :clap2::popcorn:

5 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

That looks awesome! Very well done.

Thank you guys, will leave it alone for a while now to let the paint fully cure and start the next project.

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, themongoose said:

Grand finish! I’ll use thos extra details about the masks when i do mine this winter.

Thank you and I'm glad to have helped you out, the masking process can be a bit tricky but it's worth it in the end.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while, after completing the markings I had a rush of blood to the head and broke out the matt varnish, as usual this went very well and I was made up, however I then realised that I had not done the stencils or the remaining decals.

I put the Spitfire on a high shelf and left it for a while but decided to give it a gloss varnish coating so searched through my paint collection for some gloss varnish, I had not used any for years as my favourite paints Xtracolor and Colourcoats do not need it.

I found some old Humbrol tins of gloss varnish and broke out the airbrush, not impressed with this the Spitfire went back on the high shelf.

It may not seem Spitfire related but it does lead back to it, my wife has been on at me for some time to put some mirror backing on the back wall of my display cabinets to

1. show off my planes better and 2. to throw some light out into the dining room where the cabinets are situated.

So id searched eBay and got a sheet of 3mm acrylic silver mirror, which with the help of some two sided Gorrila tape was affixed to the back on the cabinet, and it looked great.

However while I was doing this as a precaution the display cabinet was emptied of models, during this process my ancient Revell Corsair was damaged, nothing serious just a bent pitot, I bent it back and applied a spot of CA but it broke.

The model was built in the early 1990's but given new paint and decals somewhere around 2004/5.

So up to the study and onto the bench it went, a quick drill out of the stub and glue the pitot back in I thought, but no, nothing that simple, the main gear cover fell off, then I discovered that the main gear leg was broken and was "floating" on the rear support, these were fixed.

As I was fixing these I admired my early 1990's effort at the aerial wires which was (and still is) not my favourite job, and of course I managed to break off the aerial post, so I had to drill out a hole and fix it back into place.

Everything was good and I even managed to give the model a good dust and clean, here it is ready to go back to the display cabinet.

G2JMMf.jpg

While I was sitting there I decided to have a look at the Spitfire, such a shame after all it was close to finished, so out with the nail buffers and Micro Mesh and the project was reborn.

jX6QMY.jpg

Next up HGW Wet Transfer stencils.

Cheers

Dennis

10 minutes ago, chrish said:

Awesome!

don’t expect this level of work from my attempt ok?

Thank you, not sure about awsome though, just enjoy the build that is all I do, that's what it is all about, I look forward to seeing how you get on.

Cheers

Dennis