PCM Spitfire Mk.IXc

dennismcc

8 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Well Heck Dennis...

You've done a lot since I last traipsed  into your build.

GREAT job so far.

looking good. 

:punk:   :yahoo:   :bow:

Nice to hear from you Maru and it is a timely reminder that I have been a bit remiss in my model building recently, I blame the nice weather making me go outside and fix things. I sit here and look over to my right and see my poor sad model waiting for me to carry on with my favourite part (the paint) so I must get at it again.

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

How did I miss the start of this?  I'm following now - nice work Dennis.

Thank you Mike and as I said to Maru, I must get back into this build.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress at last, I got around to changing the code letter masks to the correct ones and masking off the rear fuselage Sky band, the latter made me move the code letters forward a bit to fit the band in. They were probably in the wrong place to begin with but hopefully now they are correct.

MwzDMI.jpg

Dqc59f.jpg

Then out with the airbrush and the yellow paint, and the roundel position and the wing leading edges were painted, so I can now position the fuselage roundel mask.

8U6AiV.jpg

053bDh.jpg

2L5I17.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Mike, I forgot to add that every time I do something to this one I keep muttering about not forgetting to drill the gun camera and fuel cooler holes in the wing roots a simple thing that I have forgotten on other Spitfire builds so that also got done.

Gun camera, taped over in this case.

J6ttOa.jpg

Fuel cooler

h7wpzY.jpg

And done

H74Qeo.jpg

HF28HG.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Looks great!  Nice catch on the lettering!

Thank you John, it just did not look right to me but I'm glad that I spotted it in time, it would have been nasty to remove the mask at the end and spot it.

Cheers

Dennis

12 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Thanks Mike, I forgot to add that every time I do something to this one I keep muttering about not forgetting ...

...post-it notes Dennis. I usually have at least a few stuck to the box or someplace obvious.  :thumbsup:

On 5/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, monthebiff said:

Just catching up Dennis, Excellent progress and looking so good as,always.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you Andy but I must crack on with it, the sunshine is luring me outside.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, MikeMaben said:

...post-it notes Dennis. I usually have at least a few stuck to the box or someplace obvious.  :thumbsup:

Yes I must start doing that, strangely I always have a pad on my desk but I have not used them for modelling.

1 hour ago, MARU5137 said:

Dennis,

Looking very nice indeed.

Coming along splendidly!

Jolly good work. 

:punk:

:clap2:

Keep it up.

:thumbsup:  

Thank you very much Maru, comments do spur me on to actually get back at the old modelling desk.

Cheers and thanks

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Well the kitchen ceiling painting can wait, I've done all the outside jobs, the old Honda has been serviced, new tyres fitted and taken for a spin so a bit of plastic bashing is called for.

The fuselage roundel masks were put in place over the yellow and the Sky band was masked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The windscreen and aft cockpit glazing had their masks put on and were glued into place with Micro Kristal Klear

spacer.png

I'll be using this nice piece of resin so the kit door can be used as masking.

spacer.png

And all masked and ready to go for the Ocean Grey once the undersides are done and masked

spacer.png

The yellow leading edges were masked, they were 4" on the real thing, 2" above and below the centre line, I managed just to avoid the roundel.

spacer.png

The canopy had some flash and this was removed, for me this was a scary process as I tend to break clear parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lately I have struggled to get a good finish when dipping clear parts in my jar of Klear, I revisited a thread from Britmodeller about a replacement for Klear in which  Lakeland Quick Shine was recommended as being as good as or better than Klear so I ordered some.

But it would take some time to get here, so I took another look at my bottle of Klear and noticed that it was quite thick, so with nothing to lose I put some in a jam jar and thinned it with water and hey presto I dipped the canopy in it and it worked, it was nice and clear, streak and bubble free.

Stupid boy I should have tried this ages ago.

So the canopy was put into the lettuce saver to dry, a nice dust free environment.

spacer.png

As I was on a roll now so out came the airbrush and all the pesky yellow and Sky was covered with a fresh coat of MSG followed by some MSG lightened with white in a random pattern, not too much as the aircraft was reputed to have had some fresh paint before the man himself took it over.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now to leave it a couple of days before masking the undersides, so in the mean tinme I will be starting on the next project, more challenges.

4G7O0N.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Spitty looking good Dennis  :clap2:

Thank you Mike, I'm rather pleased with it having never built a Spitfire IX in 1/32 scale, the last one I built was Airfix in 1/72 and I was wearing short trousers

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you as ever Maru, yes I do like to try and keep up with my list of jobs, and it's nice to be able to get some more modelling in.

Inquisitive is good it makes the world progress which is something that I have no problem with.

I have not got an identity for the next one yet, I'm still gathering information for the build.

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc