SU-25 Manpad

• 2 weeks later...

at 40,000 per missle vs 25 million in 1997 dollars a  good trade.  plus  the pilot  Hard to put a price on a human life(  I know they are doing their job for their country although some have to know the nature of their targets)  

On 3/14/2022 at 9:19 PM, dashotgun said:

at 40,000 per missle vs 25 million in 1997 dollars a  good trade.  plus  the pilot  Hard to put a price on a human life(  I know they are doing their job for their country although some have to know the nature of their targets)  

same thing as in Syria-carpet bombing...bomber Harris's words were learned well

I’ve seen that video before, there are other versions out there in much higher definition.  Curious what was used to film this.   

Sad to see a crew die, since they were simply doing what a politician forced them to do but at the same time, if more Russian helos meet a similar fate, maybe sanity will prevail and this invasion will come to an end.  

On a side note, read an article that suggested that the high loss rate the Russian AF is suffering is due to lack of precision guided weapons and/or crews trained on their use.   The end result is that their helos and even their high end fighters are forced to fly under the cloud cover to deliver dumb bombs and unguided rockets.   This puts them right in the heart of a Stinger’s envelope.  

You know what bugs me about the Kamov shoot-down vid?  It was cruising along straight and level down low in a combat zone.  No jinking, no flares, no countermeasures at all apparently.  Was there no intel or threat brief before the mission?  Are these crews so poorly trained that they don’t understand the peril they put themselves in?  Even when the Stinger was launched, it looks to me like they continued on their merry way and made no attempt at all to evade.  None.  Ya gotta think they saw it - or at least you have to hope they did - but they just sat there and took it in the face.  I’ve never heard of a  crew that didn’t at least try to save their own butts when things went south.  It ain’t natural.