oramask 810 residue

blackbetty

Hmmm, how much residue? A lot, or just small areas?

The weathering process that folks do is to put down a clear acrylic to protect the paint underneath from enamel thinner in the weathering mixes. I'm assuming that just acrylic paint by itself will work the same way. The mixes are mostly enamel thinner with very little pigment. After the enamel has mostly dry, the idea is to use a brush, dipped in enamel thinner and most of that blotted off into paper towel. Then used to gently wipe the area of excess weathering mix, in the direction of air flow, to remove it. The brush picks up some of the excess and is then wiped on the paper towel.

If it is small areas, perhaps some easy going with a brush and enamel thinner might do it. A thought, perhaps I'm :mental:.

Incidentally, looking to help @blackbetty above, I've just been wondering why I couldn't find it at first: then I realised that it's two words: "Ultra Mask", not "Ultramask", so if you're having trouble finding any that may be why.  Apologies if I've misled anyone by using one word, I'll remember now.

• 1 year later...

UPDATE:

I contacted the company (a human being answered the phone!!) I purchased the 810 from and told them about the problem and the rep suggested Oramask 810S which uses a different adhesive. He promised to send "a sample" but what I got was 10 full sheets! All I can say is the 810S is perfect. It peels off the clear film with ease and not a hint of residue. 

So here's a shout out to Ante Up Graphics for their outstanding customer support. If you're in the US, I'd highly recommend purchasing from them. BTW, I buy this stuff in sheets, but for some bizarre reason they don't list 810S on their website. Perhaps a phone call is in order. (267) 202-6971