Pre-thinned enamels issue

Woody V

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I painted my models with enamels and noticed that if I stored them pre-thinned they would congeal into a glob. It didn't seem to matter what paint brand or what thinner I used, they always went bad.

Anyone else have this experience?

Yes. 

one of the reasons I prefer the 
Mr paint line or mission models. I realize neither are enamels but not having to thin to airbrush them makes storage so much better. When done just pour left over paint back to the main bottle. 

I still have model master paint that is over 15 years which I had never used. Still paints fine. But stuff that was thinned quickly turned to the mess you describe. 

paul 

Yep.  I often wondered if they added a catalyst or hardner to the thinner/reducer.  I know it the body shop business we had "reducer" and "reactive reducer" that had a hardner in it.

The few times I still use enamels I always use a pipette and draw a little out of the bottle and squirt it into a mixing cup and never save what's left over.

I learned a trick a few year ago when doing some metal work in my garage using RustOleum paint. I bought a generic enamel paint hardner and rolled the paint on and it dried to the touch overnight.  The only other time I used it, straight from the can and it took days to dry. Actually weeks.

I just built my new paint booth and hopefully this weekend I'm going to paint the inside of it white using RustOleum with the same hardner.

Same thing happened to me when I used Model Master enamels using their own thinner, Testors Universal Enamel Thinner (red can).  By accident I used Mr Color Leveling Thinner 400 instead 2 years ago and the paint is still fairly fresh without any issues, other than old paint is still old paint if you leave it long enough.  Although I don't use enamels very often any more (MRP lately), I still like them when I want a certain color and unlike MRP, they brush very easily.

Cheers,

Chuck

14 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Same thing happened to me when I used Model Master enamels using their own thinner, Testors Universal Enamel Thinner (red can). 

Exactly the same here. 

I also tried that method to “save time” and experienced the same. Humbrol, Testors, and Model Master enamels. I just take a glob or two with is on my paint stirrer and place in into a paint palette add thinner (small amounts) and go from there.

Jim

On 3/1/2022 at 4:20 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth I painted my models with enamels and noticed that if I stored them pre-thinned they would congeal into a glob. It didn't seem to matter what paint brand or what thinner I used, they always went bad.

Anyone else have this experience?

I’ve felt your pain, made me very careful when returning any paint into its original container after thinning. I don’t think I’ve had the problem with anything but (granted it was old Testors stuff in the small square bottles) enamels

by the way that’s a great man in your avatar…well chosen man!