1/32 F-35C from Trumpeter in april

RNoAF

Shame about the tint on the canopy, AVF made some AM ones that were so good, wonder why none are like that OOB

speaking of those tinted canopy's id love to find a A-10 one :whistle:

Edited by Neo

Possibly a stupid question, but do any of the known dyes work with modern clear plastics?   Obviously the standard practice of near boiling water wouldnt work, but just thinking if there is any way to tint on your own.

1 hour ago, Jan_G said:

Have to say, those RAM panels seem very thick.  Looks like some sanding is going to be needed.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Possibly a stupid question, but do any of the known dyes work with modern clear plastics?   Obviously the standard practice of near boiling water wouldnt work, but just thinking if there is any way to tint on your own.

I thought some dipped canopies in Future tinted with Tamiya clear paints. Havent tried it myself yet, though.

I've added food coloring to Future and dipped them.  Worked pretty well but you need to add a LOT of food coloring for it to be noticeable.

I tried the Future with the liquid from an unstirred jar of Tamiya Gold leaf and it wasn't too bad, either.  You just want to make sure all the pigment has settled to the bottom

43 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Have to say, those RAM panels seem very thick.  Looks like some sanding is going to be needed.

They do indeed..  Looking forward to getting it though

1 minute ago, jwest21 said:

I've added food coloring to Future and dipped them.  Worked pretty well but you need to add a LOT of food coloring for it to be noticeable.

I tried the Future with the liquid from an unstirred jar of Tamiya Gold leaf and it wasn't too bad, either.  You just want to make sure all the pigment has settled to the bottom

Why not just paint them with Tamiyas clear colors in ultra fine layers. I do that when painting the green glazing on various aircraft. I think it works pretty well

So, the clear canopy hood has an inner frame and sits on a bottom frame. Wonder how that's going to look?  I suspect either spectacular or ghastly. 

Otherwise, refreshingly different. If this were a B I'd be tempted to buy, to do a British jet, but a C has to wait until it gets something really stupidly snazzy and glossy. 

Tony 

4 hours ago, jwest21 said:

Will be hard to get a finish like thisAC3201AC3203AC3204.JPG

I know hasegawa makes a film for hud, wonder if its doable for canopy

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

Otherwise, refreshingly different. If this were a B I'd be tempted to buy, to do a British jet, but a C has to wait until it gets something really stupidly snazzy and glossy. 

that is exactly what has put me off both this and the A model. To my old eyes it's not an attractive aircraft to start with and then overall grey colour scheme makes it look a tad more ugly. I'd also build the RAF B version but like you I'll wait until the person in charge of camouflage realises that colourful military aircraft might be easier to spot in real life but they make better models for us !  It is great to see a new 1/32 kit from Trumpeter though, hope it sells well and prompts more releases - it certainly looks a good kit from the pictures.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, Neo said:

Will be hard to get a finish like thisAC3201AC3203AC3204.JPG

I know hasegawa makes a film for hud, wonder if its doable for canopy

Oh, I know.   Unfortunately, AFV club seems to have stopped making those.  The other issue is the one I bought for the f-16 have a mold seam.  If you remove it, the tint goes with it

On 5/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, Zola25 said:

Why not just paint them with Tamiyas clear colors in ultra fine layers. I do that when painting the green glazing on various aircraft. I think it works pretty well

I could never get them to look crystal clear that way

On 5/28/2022 at 2:45 AM, Neo said:

Shame about the tint on the canopy, AVF made some AM ones that were so good, wonder why none are like that OOB

speaking of those tinted canopy's id love to find a A-10 one :whistle:

Mmm, I've one in my stash that I found after digging for hours on the net... At a reasonable price, no less. They're out there, keep looking!