Antonov 225 reported damaged, possibly destroyed

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Bloomberg is where I saw it too. I watch it at night from bed and could have easily seen a 3 as an 8.

Eyes ain't what they used to be   :coolio:

Not sayin you are old, I mean, you...you,you look young for however old you are...:blink: lol

20 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Gregg,

I had the pleasure of touring the B17 with a WWII vet while we were there.

Also saw a flight demo of an F 16; he came down the runway and punched it going vertical. Pretty awesome.

Eagles here used to do that quite regularly, now it's Super Hornets. They don't really go completely vertical, but probably 5 or 10° from vertical, at least that's what I've seen here locally.

20 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

Gregg,

I had the pleasure of touring the B17 with a WWII vet while we were there.

Also saw a flight demo of an F 16; he came down the runway and punched it going vertical. Pretty awesome.

That show was my first time seeing the RCAF Snowbirds ...

First time Played admission to an airshow as well, growing up in So. California in the 70s & 80s, there were many free annual airshows to attend, MCAS El Toro, NAS Pt. Mugu, March AFB, Edwards AFB, NAS Miramar, George AFB, Norton AFB & NAF El Centro ... Good times ...

-Gregg

Yup, strategic target. Apparently it was an unfortunate coincident when her maintenance scheduler lined up perfectly with Soviet invasion. Hopefully not in vain.

Edited by Martinnfb

On 3/4/2022 at 11:03 AM, Out2gtcha said:

That is really horrible to see. I hope they rebuild her. 

Not very likely.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, BiggTim said:

Looks rather like a targeted attack, huh? I guess if you'll shell a nuclear power plant, blowing up the world's only AN-225 is easy.

That was probably the best attempt with the "Russian Military Triumph" propaganda in that ridiculous invasion. You gotta give it to them. They hit where it hurts.

Too bad that plane wasn't only Ukraine's symbol. It was Aviation World's.

The big Antonov 225 was certainly an iconic aircraft.

I saw a video several years ago and the flight deck tasks and co-ordination of them were more akin to that to be seen on the bridge of an ocean going liner than something

more familiar like a C-5 Galaxy or B747 or B-52.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, thierry laurent said:

Actually it looks it can possibly be rebuild as the remaining rear section can be mated with the front one of the not ended second airframe. It essentially depends on the extent of the structural damages.

All you need is a data plate and an awful lot of money.

I was lucky enough to see it take-off and fly at Farnborough, went down the runway we all thought it was a taxi run but it disappeared in a cloud of dust and debris when it cleared it was airborne after setting every car alarm off " bloody brilliant"

BUT

found this Never say Never

Bob