F-14B Bombcat 1/32 Trumpeter

ScaleLady

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Gotta love a Tomcat build. 
I look forward to seeing it come together. I’ve actually been considering one of these kits myself. 

I can say at first look it seems amazing, nice detail on engine, cockpit, wings and landing gear :) 
When I found out how to post pictures here i will post some :)

Hello! 
So, i'm slowly finishing my 1/35 BR 86 locomotive and in the meantime i'm thinking about how to improve F-14. :)
First idea is adding some LED lights in the wings and second idea was to put LED lights in to the cockpit to backlight displays. Maybe its too complicated for such a model but i would like to know your opinion on this :) 

Problem is how to acomplish this.

MFD 1

MFD 1

On the photos below are cockpit parts with displays and i would try to cut away insides of those displays and instead of it use some resin or transparent film and which i would try to paint with black color and left some places to let light through.

Or put decals on it which are black printed so i think green light will not be visible. (Photo below)

Decals

Do you haev any other idea how to do it ? Or should i even do it ? 

Thanks and good luck with your kits !

-Terry

Hi Terry, welcome to our little corner of the internet.

There's plenty of examples of people doing lights and animation within our WIP page. Most recent example is @Out2gtcha's F-104 build here: 

As for attempting it, I guess you need to ask yourself what the objective/goal is? I think the F-14 is so big that it would be impressive all on its own, especially one that is well done.  The only times I've done animation is for scenes that needed props turning--nothing simulates a spinning propeller like the real thing, so I've motorized them. They look OK, but frankly in hindsight I think they're 'gimicky' and distract from the overall scene. Just my opinion of course.  Look forward to your build though.

-Peter

49 minutes ago, easixpedro said:

Hi Terry, welcome to our little corner of the internet.

There's plenty of examples of people doing lights and animation within our WIP page. Most recent example is @Out2gtcha's F-104 build here: 

As for attempting it, I guess you need to ask yourself what the objective/goal is? I think the F-14 is so big that it would be impressive all on its own, especially one that is well done.  The only times I've done animation is for scenes that needed props turning--nothing simulates a spinning propeller like the real thing, so I've motorized them. They look OK, but frankly in hindsight I think they're 'gimicky' and distract from the overall scene. Just my opinion of course.  Look forward to your build though.

-Peter

Wow! Amazing build by @Out2gtcha thanks for showing me thats lot of help !

-Terry

Hello!
After few days i can finally post some progress! :)

With this kit i tried some new things i bought from local shop.... I tried many brands of colors and primers and i think i can say i finaly settled with Mr. Color (Gunze).

First thing i tried is Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black 

IMG20220306195805

And some other new things i bought are colors for this kit, again from Mr. Color.
Last thing i was excited to try is oil-based color Abteiling 502 Burnt Umber.

Now for the kit itself..... I started with engines.
I really enjoyed details of it and nice fit.

IMG20220303200931

IMG20220303204150

I used black 1500 finishing surfacer and then Burn Iron Metalic (Mr.Color)

Then i used very diluted Abteilung 502 burnt umber and used it for light weathering.

IMG20220306195746

IMG20220306205623

This part should be painted with silver color, but i dont like Mr. Color one so i used Mr. color Stainless steel metallic :) 

IMG20220306212553

After light weathering :)

IMG20220307195558

And nearly finished engines :) Sadly it will be hiden in fuselage but still i wanted to paint it :)

Thats all i have, now i need to plan how to connect LEDs in wings, fuselage and cockpit :) And order them from local shop :)

Thanks for reading and enjoy your evening!

4 hours ago, themongoose said:

Nice! Thank you!