Ukrainian MiG-29 schwacks Russian SU-35

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

So do we know for certain that the shoot down vid is a fake?  Because I promise you there is a lot of old Soviet style propaganda stuff going on on both sides.  Most of the claims I’m reading beggar the imagination.

Per previous accurate comments and other credible sources, it’s a sequence from a realistic-looking combat flight simulation. Not necessarily a hoax in service of  a coherent propaganda campaign, but definitely not a real thing that happened. There’s plenty of real war to pore over. 

Adam

There is a picture of a pilot siting in the cockpit of a Mig-29 with his visor down, thumbs up and reported by the former Ukrainian President "confirming" the urban legion is in fact true.  Hmmmm.  Several articles are now mentioning there are likely several pilots involved.  As John mentions above, an Il-76 was also claimed to be additional air to air victory by another news source.  Someday perhaps we'll read the real story behind all this activity.  At the moment it appears the Russians are having a hard time with all this mess.   

A Ukrainian pilot of a MiG-29 shot down: 2хSU-35, 1хSU-27,1хMiG-29, 2хSU-25. In the network he was called "The Ghost of Kyiv". 

The usual on-line sources show the Ukraine Air Force order of battle to be pretty scant across the board with minimal funding and improvement over the years.  Apparently their fighter force is limited to a relative handful of aging Mig-29s and older SU-27s.  Like most Soviet bloc countries, they are fairly well equipped with older but still effective ground based air defense systems.  Looks like Russia is using airborne troops to take key objectives and it should be obvious to all that a big jet on jump run makes an easy target even for an older AD system, so their claim of downing one or two is very plausible.  I’m hard pressed to believe their other claims of Russian kills, however.  Does anyone honestly think Russian fighter pilots are so mediocre that they consistently lose a fight with older, less able equipment?  And where are the vids of crashed Russian jets, captured Russian pilots and Ukrainian gun camera footage?  I certainly haven’t seen any.  Old habits die hard.  Propaganda was viable in the old Soviet Union era, but in today’s world of instant communication where everyone has a phone with a decent camera in it, not so much.  If, by now, Ukraine still has a viable Air Force, then the Russians missed the lessons-learned memo.

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Does anyone honestly think Russian fighter pilots are so mediocre that they consistently lose a fight with older, less able equipment?  And where are the vids of crashed Russian jets, captured Russian pilots and Ukrainian gun camera footage?  I certainly haven’t seen any.  Old habits die hard.  Propaganda was viable in the old Soviet Union era, but in today’s world of instant communication where everyone has a phone with a decent camera in it, not so much.  If, by now, Ukraine still has a viable Air Force, then the Russians missed the lessons-learned memo.

And yet, you only have to go back to the 60's and 70's to find plenty of examples of good pilots, in superior equipment being lost to guys flying older, less capable aircraft.   Tactics and fighting defensive on your home turf count for a great deal.   I'm not certain Su-27's and MiG-29's even have video records and if you are just taking BVR missile shots, not sure there would be much to see anyway.   

Lastly - I would argue that in today's world of instant communications, it's even easier to put out propaganda that many folks, especially those who are heavily invested in one side already, would gladly accept as the "real deal".     For the record - I'm not trying to the say that the "Ghost" is a guy who made ace in a single sortie, just that it's very hard to make any real conclusions about what is going on there until you get much more backup info from both sides.   Hell, there are still plenty of folks in the Balkans who are convinced that the Serbs shot down half the USAF and nothing anyone can say or show them will convince them otherwise. 

The Finn's are a great comparison.  Flying a Brewster F2A in combat well into 1943 wouldn't be for the faint hearted.  The Finn's flew anything they could get their hands on.  Fiat G-50, etc...I also recall reading about Lt Michael Scott Speicher F/A-18 being downed by a Mig 25 during the Gulf war.  01/ 17/1991.   

The shot of the KA-52 is most welcomed.  Thanks for sharing this with us.