Could a model be painted in grayscale successfully?

Stokey Pete

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

That was the one, here's a link to the thread, the photos have gone, but they originated on f-book, you need to scroll down quite a bit.

97006890_2552767081631009_38958468686298

97549657_2552766661631051_24639213764870

Brilliant find there sir, thank you. I think I’ll try it in small scale to begin with. I’m curious to see if I have the eye to translate the colours into greyscale, and see if what I have in mind is feasible. 

2 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Brilliant find there sir, thank you. I think I’ll try it in small scale to begin with. I’m curious to see if I have the eye to translate the colours into greyscale, and see if what I have in mind is feasible. 

Most digital cameras will shoot in B and W.  Shoot a couple B and W shots, then print them and go to town trying to match shades of grey.  

1 hour ago, Citadelgrad said:

Most digital cameras will shoot in B and W.  Shoot a couple B and W shots, then print them and go to town trying to match shades of grey.  

I’ve just taken a bit of time to look into greyscales and making my own. This is a whole new challenge for me, and the more I see and look into it, the more it intrigues me. 

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

In order for it to be truly greyscale, you'd need to paint the entire model with the same two black and white paints, varying the ratios of the two to achieve the differing shades of grey.  Otherwise you'll introduce subtle differences in the actual color, since some greys are warm and some are cool.   But can it be done?  Absolutely.

As an aside, the late Gaston Bernal of Aeromaster used to argue endlessly that he could tell what color something was from looking at a B&W photo.  I threatened to build a Bf109 and paint it in shades of mauve, purple, and pink, then photograph it in B&W and dare him to prove what colors it was. :) 

That’s my plan Jennings. The more I think about it, the more the idea appeals to me. I’m going to attempt it in small scale before I get ambitious enough to apply it to anything of considerable size. 

On 2/15/2022 at 10:22 AM, Jennings Heilig said:

In order for it to be truly greyscale, you'd need to paint the entire model with the same two black and white paints, varying the ratios of the two to achieve the differing shades of grey.  Otherwise you'll introduce subtle differences in the actual color, since some greys are warm and some are cool.   But can it be done?  Absolutely.

As an aside, the late Gaston Bernal of Aeromaster used to argue endlessly that he could tell what color something was from looking at a B&W photo.  I threatened to build a Bf109 and paint it in shades of mauve, purple, and pink, then photograph it in B&W and dare him to prove what colors it was. :) 

:clap2:Brilliant!  But when you photograph it, use some of the old school photography lens filters made for varying contrast with B&W film. 

I wish I could find it now as I definitely saved it, but perhaps under the subject which I've now forgotten, of an aircraft so gray (with an 'a' for colourless)

that it looked for all the world like a monochrome photo. Only a red warning panel indicated it was a colour photo.

• 1 month later...

Hello chaps, on this fascinating topic I had recently heard about the 'monochrome' work done by Fanch Lubin while listening to a podcast called 'The Sprue Cutters Union'.

Great podcast by the way. 

So on Fanch's 1/32 masterpieces, I found a high resolution article in Meng Air Modeller (issue 91) that I purchased individually from the official website. 

https://www.afvmodeller.com/product/meng-air-modeller-issue-91-out-28th-july/

Hope that helps anyone wanting to see it in high-res glory.!