Airfix 24th Spitfire

Astro32

Greetings all!

Been awhile as usual. This time the 'vid got me and recovery will be slow. To help with this, I just picked up an early MPC boxing of the Airfix kit for a song. I built one when I was staying at my uncle's house over summer vacation as a young kid. Listening to the tales told by my uncle and my dad while building it are a priceless memory. And that of course is what drew me to it. Anyway, I'm not going to go too nuts on this kit. What aftermarket is out there? Cockpit & gear wells, decals, etc?

Thanks folks.

Not much available 

when I converted mine to a MkIX, (Now released from Airfix and that's a good thing because the conversion I used was very old) 

I used the IP from airscale which was gorgeous and added a lot to the cockpit

Spit_mkIX_24_043.png

I also used the MasterCasters flaps set - although Spitfires are hardly seen with flaps down on the ground

Spit_mkIX_24_116.png

I also used some gear bays castings as you can see in the picture above.

They have the merit to exist but I wasn't convinced about them

Some possible  inspiration:
1/24 Spitfire MkVb to LF. Mk IX Conversion – 349 sqn RAF (Belgium) PART 1: Assembly – Red Dog's models (wordpress.com)

Edited by red Dog

Grey Matter Figures do a replacement seat and frame (the kit part is overscale), control column and throttle quadrant and aerial mast. Waldron did a great placard set for the cockpit which includes a photo etch throttle quadrant that works if built carefully. 

The Barracuda wheels look fantastic. I wasn't aware of those and look way better than the Contact Resine wheels I picked up years ago.

Old Etcher Fred used to do a very comprehensive photo etch set for the 1/24 Mk I Spitfire. I imaging that may be hard to find now though.

Edited by fightersweep

• 2 weeks later...

Today I ordered Airscale's instrument panel, Barracudacast wheels, and RB Production's Sutton harness. 

Sadly though I can't get the warp out of that right upper wing sorted. 

Anyway, thanks again for looking in and advising!

30 minutes ago, Pete Roberts said:

Maybe you could contact Airfix spare parts dept for a replacement if no luck fixing it? You may need to send a photo of the part.

Kit is  currently OOP but it doesn't hurt to try. Thanks!