Kitty Hawk 1/32 HAF Mirage 2000 EGM

spyrosjzmichos

19 hours ago, jeroen_R90S said:

That looks awesome!

If I may offer a point, the windscreen does not seem to fit as flush as on the photo's of the real one, but probably to late to fix now?

Thank you Jeroen.^_^

And thanks for the feedback, too!

I should still be able to fix it at this stage.

Will have to resort to superglue and talc powder and rescribe everything.

But would definitely improve the overall look for sure.

17 hours ago, cwbalmer said:

HI there. Stunning build so far - really enjoying the work in this..

Daft question - in your first pics the kit parts are covered in what looks like a black wash to shows the panels lines and rivets etc - what is that black liquid? is it simply a black wash that it then just wiped ?

Cheers

Many thanks! :lol:

Actually I haven't used any wash yet.

I think it's just the combination of the sharp panel lines, black primer, patchy paint work (black basing) and post shading with lighter versions of the base colours that's creating this illusion.

Having said that, my favourite panel wash is Tamiya's panel line accent color series. 

On 9/1/2022 at 7:27 AM, spyrosjzmichos said:

Thank you Jeroen.^_^

And thanks for the feedback, too!

I should still be able to fix it at this stage.

Will have to resort to superglue and talc powder and rescribe everything.

But would definitely improve the overall look for sure.

I almost feel guilty for bringing it to your attention... Daring, though judging by the quality of your work it should work out!

Hi

very nice rendition of the cammo , specially the blue color , which looks different from the french Mi 2000 , nice weathering too ( I wonder why Greek A/C are so dirty :hmmm:, let's take a look at the Phantom ... or the A 7 Corsair ...etc ..... do ground crews not care to their A/C ??) 

are you planning on leaving   the gear doors open ??? , I agree that the inside details are not bad , but these doors are often ( if not always ) closed when the A/C is on the ground .........:rolleyes:..........keep on this way , the final result will be gorgeous !!!!

Alain

On 9/2/2022 at 9:19 PM, alain11 said:

Hi

very nice rendition of the cammo , specially the blue color , which looks different from the french Mi 2000 , nice weathering too ( I wonder why Greek A/C are so dirty :hmmm:, let's take a look at the Phantom ... or the A 7 Corsair ...etc ..... do ground crews not care to their A/C ??) 

are you planning on leaving   the gear doors open ??? , I agree that the inside details are not bad , but these doors are often ( if not always ) closed when the A/C is on the ground .........:rolleyes:..........keep on this way , the final result will be gorgeous !!!!

Alain

Many thanks Alain!

I really hope we'll get to see more 32nd scale French aircraft by mainstream companies.

We Greeks have turned dirty planes into an art in itself. Think we've reached a point where a clean aircraft isn't considered Greek! :lol:

The fit of the gear doors isn't very good so will require sanding to install closed.

I do agree with you that parked aircraft have these covers closed.

At the same time, it's just a pity to hide the details... :(

Guess I can decide at the end anyway.

On 9/6/2022 at 6:45 PM, Marcel111 said:

That’s looking excellent, love the very real looking weathering you are achieving!

Marcel

Thank you Marcel! ^_^

On 9/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, r0t0rdr1ver said:

Wow, really enjoying your build so far. Very clean build / prep work and excellent paint work!

Great choice on the scheme, it’s going to be beautiful.

Many thanks! :D

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Back with another update.

With the camo paint done I moved on to applying the decals.

For this I used a combination of decals from Kitty Hawk's sheet as well as from LM Decals.

I have to say that I was very disappointed with KH's set as I found them very thick and unwilling to conform to surface details. 

A far cry from the ones in the OV-10D kit which behaved beautifully. 

They were also wrong for the Greek Mirages since the provided stencils are in French and not in English.

The LM Decals provide all the correct stencils but come printed in one single sheet so I had cut each decal individually.

In order to overcome the thickness of the KH decals I resorted to a combination of Mr Mark Setter/Softer and a hair dryer...

With the decals in placed I then sealed everything with a coat of gloss varnish and applied a panel wash with Tamiya's black panel line accent followed by a coat of matt varnish. 

* Disclaimer: Kitty Hawk's instructions were not helpful at all in providing any information on what parts to use for each Mirage version.

I used reference pictures as much as possible and as such I was able to convert the arrestor hook cover to the correct version by cutting it shorter.

However, I still managed to miss one important part, the tail fin which would be correct for a -2000C but not for a -2000 EGM...

Unfortunately, it was too late when I noticed.

So... that's that... :unsure:

UftNha.jpg

GIOnMN.jpg

8FFIXw.jpg

FjJvVZ.jpg

AP6W1L.jpg

tsb5ml.jpg

M4kz94.jpg

KyQJMb.jpg

cYqkrv.jpg

64V4fD.jpg

gHbSyl.jpg

8rOa9h.jpg

KTUmHI.jpg

As for weapons loads, I went with the Matra Magic and Matra 530 Super missiles.

One thing to note is that KH provides decals for training missiles only so I had to resort to my spare decals box to convert them into "live" ones.

The RBF tags are from AeroBonus.

0dltx5.jpg

4fVxtR.jpg

rrTOte.jpg

Next step, weathering! :clap2:

Edited by spyrosjzmichos