Kitty Hawk 1/32 HAF Mirage 2000 EGM

spyrosjzmichos

On 2/11/2022 at 4:36 PM, blackbetty said:

cool, taking notes for my build!

On 2/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, jenshb said:

The Grand Models cockpit looks great.  Following with interest.

Many thanks! ^_^

On 2/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, Chek said:

All looking very good.

I'll have to see how much is applicable to my KH 2000N, and steal where necessary. :D

Thank you Chek! 

I think Grand Models plan to release a Mirage 2000N cockpit, too.

You can check with them via facebook.

19 hours ago, norbert said:

Nice start on this one ! As it seems to be still possible, it may be better to close the additionals air intakes (top and bottom) as they usualy only open when the engine is running.

Thank you Norbert.

Unfortunately, I've already glued the small air intakes in place and don't really want to mess these up.

So will go as is for now.

Hi all!

I finally got my hands on KASL Hobby's resin nose replacement.

Comparing to KH's plastic version, the resin part has the following extra details:

• Provides the two rectangular access panels on either side which are appropriate for the EGM version
  • More accurately represents the IFF antenna ribbing that's integrated along the cone
  • Overall shape is wider and closer to the real thing

While the first two points can be easily corrected by the modeler, changing the overall shape of the cone can prove more challenging.

Installing the resin part does require the removal of a small section of plastic which is simple enough.

I think most modelers may choose not to use the resin replacement since these details are either minor or easily done DIY.

Having said that, I will be going ahead with the replacement since I already got it. :rolleyes:

DsmjVn.jpg

TicGVt.jpg

wU2sTV.jpg

qRB8yg.jpg

1PRkBp.jpg

UHYyXt.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone!

Been some time since my last update but was able to make some progress in the last couple of weeks.

I have more or less been completing all the sections that go into the fuselage before gluing both halves together.

The cockpit and intakes were already done some time ago and only thing left were the wheel wells, gun bays and engine.

I planned to have the gun bays closed and the engine just simply glued together and installed in placed.

Kitty Hawk clearly designed the kit to have all open panels left...well, open...

As such, I did spent considerable time sanding, test fitting and again sanding the gun bay covers till they fell in place without the need for filler.

The same also applied for the airbrake covers by the way (more of that later...).

As for the engine, I only painted the compressor blades and exhaust. I also made an effort to paint the distinctive stains along the exhaust using blank ink.

L1V5Yl.jpg

hIVgFq.jpg

FpFWDG.jpg

N4UK3Y.jpg

I did spend some time detailing up the wheel wells by adding more cabling and pipes in the front nose bay as well as placards from Anyz and Airscale.

jsDzuK.jpg

giqebf.jpg

UZ8EnM.jpg

16abeA.jpg

IwAsn5.jpg

All the detailing done on the undercarriage really showed up nicely after painting and weathering. The parts were further enhance with Anyz placards.

The Grandmodels resin wheels were excellent pieces of casting and only needed some good painting to show off all that detail!

Vrxw85.jpg

rGgDqg.jpg

lpBoCS.jpg

cmDrUF.jpg

Py2now.jpg

0JSEPF.jpg

As mentioned previously, the airbrake covers required quite a bit of sanding and test fitting to fall in place.

But with these and the wheel wells done, the wing halves were glued together and all seams cleaned up.

5H8G2Z.jpg

Il0As0.jpg

DuR2J7.jpg

And that's all for this update! 

Next step is to close the fuselage halves and glue the wings in place.

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm now on the final step stage before the painting stage.

Construction is pretty much complete but need to spend some time polishing the fuselage after all the sanding and rescribing and taking care of any possible ghost seams.

Overall fit wasn't bad at all with only the wing and tailfin to fuselage join and needing a bit of filler. 

XIYQUU.jpg

cphpE6.jpg

eoQWpA.jpg

omEmUR.jpg

wCYwRA.jpg

While all open panels such as the airbrakes and gunbay covers were clearly designed to be installed in the open position it only took a bit of sanding to glue them in place closed.

0v1Aq7.jpg

KYWx96.jpg

cRgOB0.jpg

jCCpWj.jpg

9fJWRi.jpg

YCD5Z4.jpg

sJ6U07.jpg

I didn't bother cleaning up the fuselage half join on the underside since most of it will be covered by the central fuel tank.

The leading edge slats were also designed to be installed in the extended position.

Since I wanted to install them retracted, I sanded them as much as possible to sit flush with the wing and then fashioned my own activating struts from styrene.

H1bqVT.jpg

jBUyLS.jpg

u1HCJj.jpg

gg8grs.jpg

HX09ry.jpg

I also replaced the ventral vent louvers with thinner ones made from styrene sheet.

cHYJxH.jpg

Finally, for armament, I will installing the Super 530s, Magic 2 missiles and central fuel tank.

SxIgqd.jpg

Thanks for checking! :lol: