Jetmads 1/18th scale releases

geedubelyer

7 hours ago, zerosystem said:

Curious what the ballpark price might be for a Skyhawk...

Likewise. It will be interesting to see what any of them cost. :hmmm:

6 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I believe they are still a ways away atm, as I have not seen them announced in any of their lineup announcements.

Plenty of time to start squirelling some money away. ^_^

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oooh I'd be up for a Skyhawk if it were an E/F

How cool, I never heard they were doing these

Quite interesting choices. Nothing too big in that line-up so they should be manageable at 1/18th scale. The F-5 would be quite a large chunk though? 

Am I correct in thinking that early F-5 Freedom Fighters were bare metal? 

If so that is very appealing. I like the idea of attempting to skin one in metal. 

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess we all need to watch this space and keep our fingers crossed. 

Cheers. 

These 1/18 kits have been listed on JETMADS website since the D.558-I was in development. Since then it would seem that releases follow no particular pattern, but for sure it's a case of "we'll know when we know". But again, we will get a bit of notice that they are in development.

Either way, I wouldn't expect floods of releases in that scale: maybe after JETMADS have done five 1/32 kits they'll feel confident enough of the market and have established their reputation to risk the (considerable) investment.

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

These 1/18 kits have been listed on JETMADS website since the D.558-I was in development. Since then it would seem that releases follow no particular pattern, but for sure it's a case of "we'll know when we know". But again, we will get a bit of notice that they are in development.

Either way, I wouldn't expect floods of releases in that scale: maybe after JETMADS have done five 1/32 kits they'll feel confident enough of the market and have established their reputation to risk the (considerable) investment.

I think they're all good choices and I'd be up for all of them actually! 

That's a good topic!

More than anything else I've been curious about their planned 1/18 future releases from the beginning. My favourites are the F-5 and the A-4 but I'd go with the A-37 too if it comes first.

F-5 in 1/18 is 80+cm long and this is a must for me as the type is one of my all time favorite aircraft. Maybe too early to to talk about or guess, but F-5B would also be a stellar release. E/F of the A-4 is my first choice, but I will be more than happy if a two seater of the Skyhawk comes too, for I find the trainers and two seaters of most jets to have more graceful lines.

I guess the A-37 Dragonfly could be their first 1/18 release. The real airplane is only 9m in length, making its 1/18 kit 50cm long. That is a really nice size to present a charming aircraft in 1/18 and it is just about 2cm short of the 1/32 Viggen.

The main factors in pricing a resin kit (or maybe all kits of any material) should be its size. Bigger kits mean more material, both printing and casting resin in this case, and larger moulds. Assuming a 1/18 kit should offer even more details than 1/32 scale and depending on what kind of extras will be offered (like metal landing gears, turned brass or maybe a Quinta grade cockpit detail and so on), I would expect the price of these 1/18 releases to be around $250 for the A-37 and $300-350 level for the A-4and the F-5, which seems reasonable to me. I'll assess what is being offered, in case the prices came higher.

There are some other aircraft I would be crazy to see in 1/18, like the F-4 and F-104, but I am not sure if this ever happens. Maybe they could consider them if the already announced ones make success.  

1 hour ago, Violator1991 said:

That's a good topic!

More than anything else I've been curious about their planned 1/18 future releases from the beginning. My favourites are the F-5 and the A-4 but I'd go with the A-37 too if it comes first.

F-5 in 1/18 is 80+cm long and this is a must for me as the type is one of my all time favorite aircraft. Maybe too early to to talk about or guess, but F-5B would also be a stellar release. E/F of the A-4 is my first choice, but I will be more than happy if a two seater of the Skyhawk comes too, for I find the trainers and two seaters of most jets to have more graceful lines.

I guess the A-37 Dragonfly could be their first 1/18 release. The real airplane is only 9m in length, making its 1/18 kit 50cm long. That is a really nice size to present a charming aircraft in 1/18 and it is just about 2cm short of the 1/32 Viggen.

The main factors in pricing a resin kit (or maybe all kits of any material) should be its size. Bigger kits mean more material, both printing and casting resin in this case, and larger moulds. Assuming a 1/18 kit should offer even more details than 1/32 scale and depending on what kind of extras will be offered (like metal landing gears, turned brass or maybe a Quinta grade cockpit detail and so on), I would expect the price of these 1/18 releases to be around $250 for the A-37 and $300-350 level for the A-4and the F-5, which seems reasonable to me. I'll assess what is being offered, in case the prices came higher.

There are some other aircraft I would be crazy to see in 1/18, like the F-4 and F-104, but I am not sure if this ever happens. Maybe they could consider them if the already announced ones make success.  

Although toylike, my two 21st Century 1/18 F-104's (George AFB - Canada Tiger Meet) as ceiling hangers along with F-86 and Mig-15 do the job just fine.

Along with F-5, a T-38, F-16, or A-7 should also cost reasonably. I would pay more for an F-4, or finish me off with a correct A-10! 

10 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Although toylike, my two 21st Century 1/18 F-104's (George AFB - Canada Tiger Meet) as ceiling hangers along with F-86 and Mig-15 do the job just fine.

Along with F-5, a T-38, F-16, or A-7 should also cost reasonably. I would pay more for an F-4, or finish me off with a correct A-10! 

Yeah, 21st Century F-104's (and other ones of the series) are nice as ceiling hangers. I have one and hope to convert it to a detailed Starfighter one day, but it's way better for me if someone makes a fully detailed kit before I start :)

Totally agree with your other suggestions, especially with the 1/18 F-16. That would be phenomenal if fully detailed. The F-16 is slightly longer than the F-5 so I don't see a reason why not, assuming the F-5 comes correctly. T-38 would be great too but we already do not have it in 1/32 so that would do good as well even in that scale. 

1/18 F-4? That's one of my dreams. Really. But I'm not sure if it is doable with resin material. Probably too large and heavy, I'm not sure it is possible to maintain consistent shrinkage rate of the resin. But if onyone makes it one day I'll be their first customer for a few copies... 

I think there's some life here, though it is a niche market. There will be modellers and collectors who will be interested in these releases and I may be one of them if the kits come with a good price.

I have a 1/18 Hobbyboss Harrier, not built yet but I tested a dry fit. That's my first 1/18 kit and the size is absolutely beautiful, too much potential for detailing. However the details of the kit is really horrible in some places like the intakes and the leading edge extensions of the wing. Anyhow, I may be easily tempted for further 1/18 kits. A-4 Skyhawk would be my first choice from Jetmads but the other two is also ok.

250-300 dollars range may be fine but these are supposed to be heavy kits and the shipping costs may not be low considering there is no such thing as cheap shipment anymore.  

:D

If we're putting a wishlist together may I add my vote for an F-15 please?

:wub:

42" or 106cm long. She'd be a big girl and that's for sure. 

Probably better to stick with more, umm, pert jets? :blink:

B)

Edited by geedubelyer