Tamiya P-38J non-release

Steve Eagle

I was hoping for a seaplane, but knew it was unlikely to happen. I somehow don't think Tamiya will ever release a 1/32 Aichi Seiran, Grumman Duck or Supermarine Walrus.

Surprised there was no second edition of the 1/48 McDonnell wonderjet. If they pledge a J I'd buy two F-4Bs as starters (not that Tamiya could give a tinker's cuss about my buying habits). 

Tony

9 minutes ago, Tony T said:

If they pledge a J I'd buy two F-4Bs as starters (not that Tamiya could give a tinker's cuss about my buying habits). 

Tony

I got two - one to finish as an F-110 on the fundekal sheet, but can't decide between a VF-74 or VF-102 as the early Navy example.

Mind you I'm still recovering from the £48 for a couple of pairs of Hypersonic seats from Japan for them.

1 minute ago, Chek said:

I got two - one to finish as an F-110 on the fundekal sheet, but can't decide between a VF-74 or VF-102 as the early Navy example.

Mind you I'm still recovering from the £48 for a couple of pairs of Hypersonic seats from Japan for them.

I like the period 1971-1975 so would do the kit's Coral Sea B options and add Js from America (74, 333) and Independence (102).

Some are guessing the C/D may be next, if indeed there is a next. Tamiya are utterly fickle.

Tony

On 2/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, Jennings Heilig said:

Depends on how long you live :clap2:

Statistically, the number of available new kit projects is finite, so eventually it will be done.

Perhaps but maybe not by Tamiya.  The existence of Tamiya is also finite in the same sense that the list of possible subjects are as well and Tamiya could easily go the way of Enron, Kodak, Sears or other business ventures that are either dead or all but dead.  I keep hoping that Tamiya will do more LSPs and we have been disappointed for a while.  I would feel worse about it but so many other great kits are out or coming out that life goes on.  

1/32 future market for injection moulded kits is not promising for inverstors. That was different about 10 years ago, where capital for investment was abundant with very low (or even zero) interest rates. That was when companies like Trumpeter thrived with lots of investment and new models. But things have changed now, not only in terms of capital but also the pandemic had a major affect on the business everywhere... taxes, high freight cost... all leading to very long return of investment. This hits the weakest chain first in our modelling world: 1/32 scale.

All very popular kits are already made. Less popular ones seem not possible, at least for some time.

1 hour ago, IvanVasili said:

1/32 future market for injection moulded kits is not promising for inverstors. That was different about 10 years ago, where capital for investment was abundant with very low (or even zero) interest rates. That was when companies like Trumpeter thrived with lots of investment and new models. But things have changed now, not only in terms of capital but also the pandemic had a major affect on the business everywhere... taxes, high freight cost... all leading to very long return of investment. This hits the weakest chain first in our modelling world: 1/32 scale.

All very popular kits are already made. Less popular ones seem not possible, at least for some time.

And yet GWH have just started producing in 1/32 scale and we have a new company Kotare Models starting this year.  ICM have been producing some really good 1/32 kits as well, YAK 9 to come.  HKM and ZM are still there… Dare I mention Revell, releasing a much needed Hurricane in man-scale. 

No it’s a more mixed picture than you suggest. Interest rates are still at historical low levels incidentally and we are coming out of COVID during which there was an upsurge in demand for models generally.   Plenty of new aftermarket being produced as well. 

No need for such despondency.  There are also many great subjects left for our scale.