RA-5C Vigilante - scratchprinted

Starfighter

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

The historian in me is thinking along the lines of all the amazing stories from that era.

The Frank Pendergast (VAH-13/USS Kitty Hawk) Navy Cross story is just spectacular.

Or am thinking of Emy Conrad's (RVAH-6/USS America) beard and skunk cap he wore (the 70s Navy was a different era, for certain). That would be fun to recreate--apparently a real character! 

Vigi squadrons, for the most part, carried their colors exclusively on that huge vertical stab.  Some were cooler than others.  Heavy 13’s tails were always pretty bland with maybe one exception when they sported maroon scallops for a while.  Heavy Six’s paint was either dark blue or black and was tastefully elegant, like the airplane, so that one might work.  I’m sure Ben is rolling his eyes about now because he’s probably already picked his paint job.  I know what I’d like to see but it’s a secret.

This happens very rarely, but I am actually not quite sure about the markings at the moment. I have two favourites at the moment - RVAH-7 aboard USS Kitty Hawk, Westpac 1973/74:

86aa912bc5d0b596e10572046bcaa106.jpg 

I have soft spot for aircraft based aboard Kitty Hawk and these are the markings included in the old Revell kit I built as a kid and which laid the foundation for my love for the Vigi. 

My second favourite option are late RVAH-3 markings. I love the tail and the flash on the nose, but I'm not too keen on the position of the modex number which looks very odd IMO.

1430199-large.jpg

Please feel free to post your proposals - preferably with photos. I'd love to see them! 

If you like a Mojito - RVAH-13:) 

RA-5C-RVAH-13-1976.jpg

Although my personal favourite is RVAH-14 with the eagle head on the nose. 

RA-5C_Vigilante_of_RVAH-14_in_flight_c19

Intend to finish my Trumpeter Vigi in those markings whenever I get around to it.  I'm still amazed that you've managed to design a complete model in less time than many people would build a kit.

This is gonna be so cool!!!  Don’t overlook some of the paint jobs from the time near the end of its career.  The few remaining squadrons would send a det of a couple of planes to the ship without their being assigned to the air wing so they kept their shore-based HATWING 1 tail codes - GJ, GK, GL, GM, etc.  Some of those paint jobs were pretty creative.  I had a passel of 35mm slides from the Key West days but I gave ‘em all to Steve Ginter not long ago.  Bummer.

21 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

RVAH-14 as well for me but on the JFK. Actually, this is also partly for nostalgia reasons (markings of the Airfix kit!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RVAH-14#/media/File:RA-5C_RVAH-14_in_flight_over_NAS_Albany_1969.jpg

Thanks for your great proposals! The RVAH-14 markings are brilliant, but were worn by early RA-5Cs only to my understanding - curved intake lips, short LERX and short nozzles. Mine is a late one, so that's sadly not an option. Thierry, did you know RVAH-14'S BuNo 150833 even visited Bierset in June 1969? 

21 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

I'm really wondering if Ben should not start something else than scratchbuilding kits!

When you're able to design such incredible models in that short amount of time, there are some fruitful possibilities...:whistle:

Well, 'short' is relative - I have no exact numbers, but the CAD files alone have taken me not far from 300 hours until now...