1:18 21st Century P-51D Conversion to "B" Model With Metal Finish

patricksparks

14 hours ago, JayW said:

You are a wizard.  Shrink Ray modeling!  

Questions, what decal paper do you use?  What settings do you set the printer at?  And what do you use for the military stencil font?    

Aerorelix Stencil is the font I used, I found it on-line, it's free download. The only thing I set on my printer was the type of paper(other glossy photo paper) and "Best Print Quality", I also cut my decal film into 7"x5" pieces and loaded it in the photo printing drawer so as not to use a full sheet of film and printed a few other things that I could think of at the time to make use of some of  the extra film on the same sheet.. The decal film is "Experts Choice" /"Bare Metal Foil" as this is the thinnest print on decal film that I have found, I whish there was something a little thinner, but it works good...

Hope this helps, the Corsair is looking Great !!!

Pat

9 hours ago, patricksparks said:

The only thing I set on my printer was the type of paper(other glossy photo paper) and "Best Print Quality", I also cut my decal film into 7"x5" pieces and loaded it in the photo printing drawer so as not to use a full sheet of film and printed a few other things that I could think of at the time to make use of some of  the extra film on the same sheet.. The decal film is "Experts Choice" /"Bare Metal Foil" as this is the thinnest print on decal film that I have found, I whish there was something a little thinner, but it works good...

Ah - the reason I ask is that I just don't like the quality of my decals.  I too use Experts Choice, and it's alot better than the Testors stuff.  I have been using "max dpi" setting on my printer (an HP).  Its a step thicker than "best quality".  Not sure if this helps or hurts....  I also set the printer to photo paper.  What do you use to seal the ink?  I use Testors decal bonder, simply because i know of no other option.    

14 hours ago, JayW said:

Ah - the reason I ask is that I just don't like the quality of my decals.  I too use Experts Choice, and it's alot better than the Testors stuff.  I have been using "max dpi" setting on my printer (an HP).  Its a step thicker than "best quality".  Not sure if this helps or hurts....  I also set the printer to photo paper.  What do you use to seal the ink?  I use Testors decal bonder, simply because i know of no other option.    

I have been using a quick coat of Tamiya clear lacquer-spray can, I usually use the semi-gloss so it does'nt take too long to dry(ink-run), but I have used gloss to. like I said a "quick coat" not too much, just enough not to be dry-sprayed.

Pat

Looks incredible Patrick - i know all those parts intimately and you are capturing them perfectly :)

the seat cushion looks excellent - I wish I had added the text, but forgot to add it to the decal sheet I had made.. I need to look into printing my own too

Peter

2 hours ago, airscale said:

Looks incredible Patrick - i know all those parts intimately and you are capturing them perfectly :)

the seat cushion looks excellent - I wish I had added the text, but forgot to add it to the decal sheet I had made.. I need to look into printing my own too

Peter

Thank you Peter, I've done some backing up here and there... I should have followed your lead on the construction of the cockpit on your "C" model and made the interior out of the model and then intall it,with aluminum inner walls on it, the 21st Century model has some shape quirks that hinder things a bit and the outer wall thickness, though not terribly thick did cause some issues trying to cram alot of stuff into the office....

The P-40 is looking great!!! looking forward to your progress!!!

Thanks again,

Pat