1:18 21st Century P-51D Conversion to "B" Model With Metal Finish

patricksparks

Made a pattern for the left side console in the cockpit that has the trim tab knobs and wheel on it and other controls for flaps etc..Pattern done, styrene shot pulled...

sIDXiJz.jpgKmb5WhS.jpg

Made trim tab knobs from watch stem knobs, had to make the trim wheel from a thick styrene rod which I chucked up in a hand drill and used a file , chisel, sanding stick and sand paper to turn a facsimile. The levers are a combination of wire and aluminum sheet, the knobs on their ends are made from styrene rod. 

The decals are the "AIRSCALE" ones that Peter was kind enough to supply me..

zG21bhL.jpg

Also I started putting an instrument panel together, thanks again for Peter's "LOPE'S HOPE" decals, beautiful stuff for sure, I still have alot left to do on it, I have to make the lower center console with the fuel controls and other things..

kDj5dxC.jpg?1

Edited by patricksparks

5 hours ago, brahman104 said:

Gorgeous Patrick! Are you and Peter sitting side by side making models now? ;)

I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but what's the pink foam stuff you carved the console master out of?

Keep up the incredible work!

Craig

Thanks Craig !!!, the pink material is High density urethane foam board, sometimes refered to as "butterboard" or "pattern board", it comes in all types of density, the board I used for the pattern is probably about 30lbs per cubic foot. It's pretty hard but still easy to carve and saw, file, sand and it's plenty durable for vacuum forming.

Pat

7 minutes ago, JayW said:

kDj5dxC.jpg?1

Patrick - those thumb switches on the lower left look absolutely authentic.  Mine are merely pieces of wire sticking out of a Meng nut!  Can I ask how you did that? 

Thanks Jay !!! I actually found these on-line, they are not switches, they are 1:20-1:24 scale tire stems for car models !!! I don't remember where I ordered them from, I think that they came from a place in Germany. The parts are white metal moldings , looks like they are made in Japan...

Pat

rU7ZnhV.jpg

On 4/4/2022 at 10:28 PM, JayW said:

All ears Geoff.  Is there a brand name for this stuff?  Where can it be had?  BTW - I forgot what I used in teh past, but one of the solvents thinned it down just fine, but also ruined it's adhesive properties!  

Jay

To thin Weld Wood I tried toluene,acetone,lacquer thinner, and mineral spirits. In each case, these solvents turned the weld wood into a gelatinous goo, formed a precipitate or just didn't react. 

Weld Wood is a Xylol base.

I Found that thinning with Xylol to the consistency of milk allowed me to get a nice smooth layer without lumps using a 3/4 inch brush.

The Weld Wood dries very quickly so you can't eat a sandwich while your applying it.

Avoid going back over an area you've already applied the adhesive to. Going over an area already done cause the insitu adhesive to soften and becomes lumpy from the brush running over it.

I got mine at Home Depot in a pint can for a few bucks. 

HTH

Sorry for going off topic

G

7 hours ago, patricksparks said:

Thanks Jay !!! I actually found these on-line, they are not switches, they are 1:20-1:24 scale tire stems for car models !!! I don't remember where I ordered them from, I think that they came from a place in Germany. The parts are white metal moldings , looks like they are made in Japan...

Pat

rU7ZnhV.jpg

Hi Jay, the vendor I bought these from is : Autograph.com, they have switches listed as well but when you look at the specs on them the switches are too big for 1:18 scale, I based my purchase on the valve stems due to their listed dimensions (length and diameter)...

Hope this helps...

Pat

A little progress on the cockpit, I made up the throttle controls, the cover is made of aluminum, the levers aluminum sheet, the knobs styrene sprue turned in my hand drill, again using "AIRSCALE"'s decals to decorate, what a boost !!! The letters on the mixture and pitch control levers are dry transfers that I put on clear decal film and punched out into round decals to fit the knobs.

av7PGGH.jpg

jVC3Z0q.jpg

X66RyHz.jpg?1

I have installed the throttle and side console into the cockpit, I now have to start making the details for the right side...

XvefaTK.jpg?1