Airfix 1:24 Mosquito question

Menelaos

Good day folks, I'm currently building the big Mosquito and have a question.

The navigator's back is a half way plate, but looking at pictures (and the Tamiya 1:32 kit) there's a add plate with a bulls eye on it, that covers his head. 

Is that missing from the Airfix kit, or not all of the Mosquitos had this?

Many thanks for any help

M.

Edited by Menelaos

I'm curious to see how the model stands up to the kits supplied landing gear. From what I understand, that the model is very heavy and isn"t well supported by the plastic gear legs. 

I am well aware of SAC's reputation, but wonder if this might be a suitable means to deal with this potential issue.

Mark Proulx

1 hour ago, Gerhard said:

I see what you mean. Might be model specicfic variant specific. It's there on the Tamiya 1/32 but no on the 1/48  version. Googling images, I also see both.

The kit is a typical Mk VI (with option for a MkII NF)

43 minutes ago, Mark P said:

I'm curious to see how the model stands up to the kits supplied landing gear. From what I understand, that the model is very heavy and isn"t well supported by the plastic gear legs. 

I am well aware of SAC's reputation, but wonder if this might be a suitable means to deal with this potential issue.

Mark Proulx

Yea I already got this...I will see... I'm faaaar from doing this...!

Edited by Menelaos

5 hours ago, Mark P said:

Mark Proulx

For what it’s worth, I built this kit not long after it came out. I lose track of time but it must be at least 10-12 years ago that I completed it using the kit gear legs. It’s still standing strong with no signs of problems all this time later. All good. 

Tom

I built this kit a few years ago, the undercarriage is more than capable of supporting the weight of the model if built up correctly. Sadly I had to recycle mine due to the kit having been knocked off the drawers where it was being displayed, several parts of it were damaged beyond repair, including the undercarriage. But had been sat, without any problems for several years using only the kit part:D

10 hours ago, Mark P said:

That's good to know Tom. There have been complaints about the integrity of the landing gear in some of the YouTube videos I have watched.

Mark Proulx

I’ve seen similar so have always kept an eye on her, but no sign of structural problems so far. 

If she was a regular at model shows and did high mileage over our bumpy British roads, it might be a different story, however. :wacko:

Tom

18 hours ago, Mark P said:

Will be watching this build closely....

Any thoughts on what markings you gonna use?

BTW, at one time lots of aftermarket for this kit. Not sure what is still available though.

Mark Proulx

Mark, I will make one of the intruder Mossies of the 418 Sqn RCAF... I have the decals of Aviaology, I don't know which one of these...Bannock's Kipp's or Luma's Mk VI....

BTW, I have problems posting pics in LSP, the link for forums (postimage) doesn't work... (but it works by other forums.....)

Edited by Menelaos