'Petie 3rd' Blue Nose blue....?

Hi Guy's,

Getting a little closer on my build of my 1/24 Airfix P-51D (When I get a chance to work on it!) that I'll be finishing in the markings of 'Petie 3rd'.

I spent some time at Hobby Lobby checking out the Model Master acrylics and was wondering which color more closely coincides with the actual color needed (French Blue?). It doesn't have to be Model Masters, but I'd like to stick with acrylics. I'm not a stickler for exact accuracy but I'd like to get it close as I can.

I don't have any references other than what I've found on the net, and have not located what I need on the color.

I don't have any experience mixing colors so I'd like to find one that matches as close as possible.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Adrian A.

Hy Adrian, here´s a wartime colour photo of the Bluenosers in line,maybe this could help. I´m working on a Bluenosers project too ( 3 or 4 birds) and I think the blue used by some of the actual warbirds in the states isn´t too far away from the original.

cheers

Chris/Germany

post-2-1070796491_thumb.jpg

Adrian and others:

As most enthusiasts are aware, the 352nd used two different shades of blue on their P-51's. For the early blue, their is no FS color match. I assume the color came from RAF stocks. It has been reported that Testors French Blue or Floquil 303275 USAAC Blue 23 is a close match.

However, it has recently come to light that a close match for the later dark blue of the 352nd is available in the Misterkit line of acrylic paints. Sam Sox Jr. has advised me that MKRAF 18 Deep Sky is a very good match for the later shade of blue.

I have color chips of the proper shades to use, which I received from Sam. If you want scans of the chips, contact me at:

Proulxm@shaw.ca

I don't know how they will look using the computer, but that is about the best I can offer.

HTH

Mark Proulx