1/32 Bf 109 E-3, E-4 & E-7 trop from Hobby 2000 (Dragon rebox) - released

barkhorn

38 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I'm interested in how bad vinyl wheel well inserts look? If anyone has a picture please post!

Regards. Andy 

Trouble is they dry out and shrink to the point of being completely unusable. This happened to the first kit I bought. I have purchased a second one more recently…think I should go check it…

Alain

52 minutes ago, monthebiff said:

I'm interested in how bad vinyl wheel well inserts look? If anyone has a picture please post!

Regards. Andy 

The inserts in my reviewed E-3 kit were OK, whereas the same on the E-4 kit were distorted, broken, dried out and brittle. Fortunately, I was able to get good parts from Dragon at that time.

Thanks for the picture Carl and comments Alain and K2! Looks like a very different approach thy have taken and I'm guessing no alternative plastic inserts to fall back on?  Only reason I'm asking is I pre ordered the E-7 today. I used Tamiya masking tape and a mix of Archer resin decals on my Eduard E kit.

20190920-212730.jpg

20191104_193915.jpg

Not sure how that idea would work adhering to soft vinyl?

Regards. Andy 

8 hours ago, monthebiff said:

Thanks for the picture Carl and comments Alain and K2! Looks like a very different approach thy have taken and I'm guessing no alternative plastic inserts to fall back on?  Only reason I'm asking is I pre ordered the E-7 today. I used Tamiya masking tape and a mix of Archer resin decals on my Eduard E kit.

20190920-212730.jpg

20191104_193915.jpg

Not sure how that idea would work adhering to soft vinyl?

Regards. Andy 

I think it would but you can also use lead foil.

8 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Eduard has their own 1/32 Emil kits.  I hadn’t heard that they ever reboxed the Dragon/Cyberhobby kit.

Ugh. I hate to hear that, because my Eduard kit has severe fit problems involving the cowling, if one makes the mistake of trying to build it with a closed cowl as I have done.  I thought Eduard was more dependable, based on the couple of their 1/48 kits I have built.

Hmmm…. I wonder if wheel well inserts E5 and E8 found on the Eduard kit would fit directly or with easy modifications?   The

process would then be straight forward I bet to cast copies.  Making a resin copy of the vinyl directly would be problematic.  The thick RTV would impact the shape of the vinyl part even if chemical reactions can be avoided. 

I'm curious to see if Hobby 2000 molds the wheel well inserts in IM. Many of their other releases of other manufacturer's kits have upgrade parts (like the Revell Spitfire), and I can already tell from the instructions posted on Hannants that these puppies will come with a fairly robust photoetch sheet. The wheel well inserts are listed as parts H1 and H2 in their instructions, and are labelled in line with other IM pieces in the kit. Curious to see if they bless us here. The marking options in the three kits are outstanding.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

6 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

I'm curious to see if Hobby 2000 molds the wheel well inserts in IM. Many of their other releases of other manufacturer's kits have upgrade parts (like the Revell Spitfire), and I can already tell from the instructions posted on Hannants that these puppies will come with a fairly robust photoetch sheet. The wheel well inserts are listed as parts H1 and H2 in their instructions, and are labelled in line with other IM pieces in the kit. Curious to see if they bless us here. The marking options in the three kits are outstanding.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Probability is very low. I'm sure Dragon ordered the production of some hundreds of kits to be put in bags and then in boxes to be sent in Eastern Europe. Other items such as the box, new instructions, decals and possibly resin and or photoetched parts will then be added by Hobby2000 for sale. This is the normal process. BTW this is what HGW did with their pre-Covid release.

4 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Probability is very low. I'm sure Dragon ordered the production of some hundreds of kits to be put in bags and then in boxes to be sent in Eastern Europe. Other items such as the box, new instructions, decals and possibly resin and or photoetched parts will then be added by Hobby2000 for sale. This is the normal process. BTW this is what HGW did with their pre-Covid release.

I'm going to agree with you on this one Thierry. I went back and reviewed the instructions from the original Dragon release, and the same vinyl parts are labelled H1 and H2 in their boxing as well. I'm confident we'll see the same vinyl.

Anyone want to make resin replacements? Pretty please? I'll happily supply the vinyl for masters.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA