Phantom Queries

John1

I'm in the process of building an early vintage (66-67) F-4C.   The Tamiya kit has some horrible raised panels that don't belong.    So far, it's been pretty easy to figure out what needs to get sanded off.   However, the outer wing sections have a raised strengthening plate right at the wing fold, on both upper and lower sides.

a6I5p2c.jpg?1

Would this be appropriate for an early C model?

Whilst on the subject of the wing fold area, does anyone have a detailed picture of what this area looks like when folded?   I'm pondering trying to scratch build the wings of my F-4 in the folded position but haven't been able to find a decent picture that shows the interior in any detail.

Any info is much appreciated.

John

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but I just googled F-4 Phantom wing fold images and tons of very useable photos, including a very nice pic of an Israeli F-4 with its wings folded.  I might be wrong, but it seems like somebody made/makes an aftermarket wing fold set as well.

59 minutes ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Not trying to be a smart ass here, but I just googled F-4 Phantom wing fold images and tons of very useable photos, including a very nice pic of an Israeli F-4 with its wings folded.  I might be wrong, but it seems like somebody made/makes an aftermarket wing fold set as well.

No worries OBG, it’s all good.  I did some googling but the pics I found weren’t close-in detail shots.   I shall continue the search.

With regard to a wing fold set, I found one in 48th but nothing in 32nd.   One would think this would be a pretty popular mod.    

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

RH Side

KdtbkRh.jpg

btwXenn.jpg

VmaHE48.jpg

2DjhEtr.jpg

Those pictures are fantastic, just what I was looking for.  Given that Tamiya provides a partial detailed insert for the inner wing, I think I can scratch build the rest.  This is do-able as long as I can find a way to secure the outer wing in the folded position.   

Kind of weird that Tamiya would give you this insert, since all the details will be lost once you fix the outer wing in the lowered position.  

John, I'll do some digging. Those close up pics are of an F-4N. Which is an F-4B that went through rework. So all those stiffeners are from a lifetime of airframe changes. I'm willing to bet that they weren't there in 66-67. Kind of like those arrow shaped strengtheners on the stabs. Also like the belly straps...  Period pics would confirm, but it'll take some digging.

-Peter

1 hour ago, easixpedro said:

John, I'll do some digging. Those close up pics are of an F-4N. Which is an F-4B that went through rework. So all those stiffeners are from a lifetime of airframe changes. I'm willing to bet that they weren't there in 66-67. Kind of like those arrow shaped strengtheners on the stabs. Also like the belly straps...  Period pics would confirm, but it'll take some digging.

-Peter

Agreed, regarding stiffening plates.

I posted those pictures in answer to John’s second query, a request for detailed closeups of the wing fold hinge, an area that changed little, if at all, across the hard wing variants. I’ll edit my post from yesterday to reflect this.

Rich

Edited by allthumbs