Dragon Messerschmitt Me-110D 1./Ergänzungs-Zerstörergruppe Værløse 1940, 1/48 Scale

Gazzas

Hi Everyone,

Last year I made the concrete decision that there would be no more builds without figures and a base.  Consequently, my production rate has dropped while my other skills may have made slight improvements.

1./Ergänzungs-Zerstörergruppe Værløse was a temporary unit set up in Denmark for the creation of a Gruppe of NJG 3.  It began with a veteran Gruppe from ZG 76 and was fleshed out with new pilots.  The nose art is part mask, part decal.  And the Stammkenzeichen are masks cut on my Silhouette Portrait.

a.thumb.JPG.1adc8e6fe06d965d4fa486b3700b

b.thumb.JPG.6f4f1d45a314b359e9ec3b18c800

c.thumb.JPG.d6423e60a6e62fd191f7fa2ca8ec

d.thumb.JPG.d76530bb8d189ed4c320b67aa434

e.thumb.JPG.e8eee65bdda797037ccea962f170

f.thumb.jpg.f9367d3eecba5eba3e628488039e

g.thumb.JPG.f622c7669154286eed13771c3a4e

h.thumb.JPG.fc76edda25036924635f6faa5d33

i.thumb.JPG.6882ba656ec1a6827fc3df6b02bc

j.JPG.8672d65f6b8bd4424ddc58bb91636a77.J

k.thumb.JPG.6df96803e0dbf1f9c5ef4b6b6ab5

l.thumb.JPG.a427bf9b1f2717bd66fe96a44921

m.thumb.JPG.772b1d5ac977f9ec521a295729ca

n.thumb.JPG.3a81f5eb620058a77c5fecec99c3

Thanks for looking.

44 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Beautifully done Gary! 

Great photos too and wonderful paintwork on both plane and figures especially when you consider they're 1/48th scale.  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank you, Wolf.  To paint those guys I had to use 3.5X reading glasses as well as my visor.  ...  and it was still difficult to see

!

Love it too ! You can almost hear all the boasting swagger coming out of the pilot .....whilst the CO is thinking " yeah yeah yeah..... that's only 3 victories "

The base - insulation foam yeah ? Just for info - In the UK the Kingspan stuff has a bad habit of warping, some brands are better than others for this.   

2 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Love it too ! You can almost hear all the boasting swagger coming out of the pilot .....whilst the CO is thinking " yeah yeah yeah..... that's only 3 victories "

The base - insulation foam yeah ? Just for info - In the UK the Kingspan stuff has a bad habit of warping, some brands are better than others for this.   

Thanks, man.  You are correct, just plain old insulation foam.  50mm thick.  I'm still finding my way with bases and whatnot.  Sawing it is a PITA.  But I really don't want something that requires as much space as as a hot-wire-cutter.  I've had trouble with wood warping on solid wood bases.  Anyway...   I only keep em' as long as I have room.  With each new build, something older finds it's way to the bin.

That's a really good looking Bf110 Gaz, and I love the idea of the dio, the figures look just right....you can almost hear the conversation between them about the latest abschusse and the fin marking applied accordingly!  The 1/48th scale Dragon Bf110 is a lovely kit, I built an E some years ago and really enjoyed it but then I'm a great Bf110 fan in any scale!  Well done mate, super job that.

3 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Thanks, man.  You are correct, just plain old insulation foam.  50mm thick.  I'm still finding my way with bases and whatnot.  Sawing it is a PITA.  But I really don't want something that requires as much space as as a hot-wire-cutter.  I've had trouble with wood warping on solid wood bases.  Anyway...   I only keep em' as long as I have room.  With each new build, something older finds it's way to the bin.

Can I offer some un asked for  advice ? :)

I use similar foam these days  , 20mm XPS Styrofoam , it's hard , although I can score , break and sand it for overall shape . It's glues together in layers with hot melt if you need too.

I then use a crafting product called Sculptamold for undulations , although these are less applicable to airfields ! Sand or beige colored tiling grouts in a tube are quick fix for a rough base surface, but the game changer for me was a cheapo Chinese static grass applicator and a couple of shades of short grass. 

Bin em ......flip me ...they far too good for that ....sell them Gazza ! 

Edited by Panzerwomble

16 hours ago, mozart said:

That's a really good looking Bf110 Gaz, and I love the idea of the dio, the figures look just right....you can almost hear the conversation between them about the latest abschusse and the fin marking applied accordingly!  The 1/48th scale Dragon Bf110 is a lovely kit, I built an E some years ago and really enjoyed it but then I'm a great Bf110 fan in any scale!  Well done mate, super job that.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Just lovely work Gaz!

Thank you!

14 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Can I offer some un asked for  advice ? :)

I use similar foam these days  , 20mm XPS Styrofoam , it's hard , although I can score , break and sand it for overall shape . It's glues together in layers with hot melt if you need too.

I then use a crafting product called Sculptamold for undulations , although these are less applicable to airfields ! Sand or beige colored tiling grouts in a tube are quick fix for a rough base surface, but the game changer for me was a cheapo Chinese static grass applicator and a couple of shades of short grass. 

Bin em ......flip me ...they far too good for that ....sell them Gazza ! 

Advice greatly accepted.  I love my static grass applicator.  But for 1/48 scale, any grass I can buy here is too long to replicate mowed grass.  I'll check out the sculptamold...   i really haven't gone 3d yet.  Here's my last use of static grass:

P1014262.thumb.JPG.c210104d9db0f89e18138

P1014264.thumb.JPG.b4065db4ba6b950a56813

P1014276.thumb.JPG.a5fbdd9de2ff27b418f91

That's a nice little dio , the burnt out tank with ash look is great.

I know what you mean about 1/48 , even static grass at 2 mm is difficult to make convincing looking as is it can come out motre as fuzz, although train  people use it a lot at 1/76 ( or whatever  scale OO/HO is ) .