Takom 1:16 Panzer IB

LSP_K2

With any luck at all, this will be one of two entries in our Invitational here in September, possibly the national convention as well (maybe.) I've been plugging away on it for the last few weeks and progress, so far, has been good. (Box was a bit mushed when ordered, but was on discount for that reason, so I snatched it. Kit itself was not damaged in any way.)

ZYjHUC.jpg

3 hours ago, DonH said:

Nice! I am amazed at the pace of tank development. From this to the King Tiger in a few short years!

I will enjoy following this build.

Oh yea. I'll soon do a side-by-side photo with my 1:16 Jagdtiger; what a massive difference.

Each road wheel (ten of them) has a small rim/disc that needs to be added to each side, and each of these has numerous pin marks. Fortunately, a test shows that they'll not easily be visible, once assembled (though I'll probably eliminate them anyway, just to be sure).

yWI2Dk.jpg

Road wheels themselves promise to gobble up some time too, as in addition to the tire seam, there are also seams all around all of the spokes, as well as a fair few pin marks that will need to go. I anticipate that the vast majority of time associated with this model will be the road wheel assemblies and tracks, as most of the rest of the kit goes together pretty darn well.

YQrNab.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 10:24 PM, LSP_K2 said:

Road wheels themselves promise to gobble up some time too, as in addition to the tire seam, 

Don't worry too much about the tire seam as the full scale one had them:

58294ff6cdeb6806a7c113f84a8740f2--army-v

you can se it clearly on the second (from the right) road wheel. Of course they wore down over time, the Panzer IV had them as well. 

Jari

1 hour ago, Finn said:

Don't worry too much about the tire seam as the full scale one had them:

you can se it clearly on the second (from the right) road wheel. Of course they wore down over time, the Panzer IV had them as well. 

Jari

Yep, the fact is that virtually all rubber road wheel rims initially had a natural seam. And as you suggest, they quickly wore away from all the constant abrasion with the tracks. I'm now wrestling with how much, if any, road wheel to guide horn abrasion I'll depict. I've seen a fair amount of built kits, in various scale, that don't seem to bother at all with this particular effect, for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh look at them mother and big baby Huey.

This size difference is why I stopped my 1/16 tank models at the Panzer I and the Panzer 38(t).  I need the display space for aircraft.  Well a year later I now have to find room for the Panzer II Luchs and the new Stug III G.

9 hours ago, josebagasteiz said:

It looks good. 

Now would be a good time to add the weld seams in the hull edges to the Panzer I. 

Greetings!! 

The kit already has weld seams molded into the edges of all of the hull and turret facets, Joe. I'll see if I can snatch a close-up or two.