Mosquito bomber

Chek

The Tamiya kit is frighteningly complex. I have read some modellers describing assembly as a bit of a chore and those with enough stamina expressed considerable relief at eventually reaching the finish line. It's a shame Tamiya over-egged the cake so to speak, but it does look great in the box! 

It's surprising that nobody has made correction parts for the Hong Kong Models' Mosquito radiator/wing upper roots and the nose side windows, but this thread does raise  the serious possibility of using a cheap Revell as parts donor. Apart from an NF.XIX based on the Tamiya, I've been hankering after a PR.XVI from the HKM kit with the assistance of the AIMS RAF camera set and Aerocraft windows. 

Hmmm, yeah Chek. It might actually be fun!

Tony

Having built a Tam Mossie for a customer a year or so after it was released and I have to say that assessment is pretty opposite to what I found when actually building it.

The "complexity" of the kit doesn't come from over-engineering,  but just engineering. If you follow the instructions it goes and fits together like a jigsaw puzzle should.

The issue to me is that type of kit is just simply a different type of kit with a LOT of detail to it.  To me the engineering that Tamiya has put into the kit doesn't necessarily make it harder to put together, but it actually makes the whole thing "click" together sub-part group by sub-part group. 

Yes, it does have a LOT of parts that have to fit together in a specific manor, but the engineering is nearly perfect as far as how it is laid out and goes together. Just because it has more parts and the engineering is in fact more complex and detailed, doesn't make it over engineered.

AAMOF, Id say if you like building complex and detailed kits the Tam Mossie is perfectly engineered. 

3 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

Out of interest, how do the cowls for the 2-stage engines in the HKM kit check, out shape wise?

Or is it a case of replace with a Grey Matters set?

I should say the only reason I'm using the Grey Matter set in my case is because the Tamiya and Revell engines are Merlin 20 series types, and I want the later type.

I don't have one, so I have no opinion on the HKM kit or its components.

14 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

"Complex" doesn't mean "unnecessary" or "over-engineered".  It just means they did their homework and included things other manufacturers couldn't be bothered with.

It's just me then. I open the box, look at the parts count, and say "No. Leave  it until you're well." So it's been left untouched since it first came out. The three 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito's I have are way too simplified, and the 1/32 over-engineered for my taste or current ability.

I assume you've actually built one Jennings?

(Brian doesn't count as he's a master builder.)

It's disappointing the HKM is so off the mark. It looks like a "more fun" project than the Tamiya as a detail-up kit rather than a "what might I omit?" kit. I might kit bash that and a Revell to get the PR.XVI. 

Tony

Edited by Tony T
typo

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

It's disappointing the HKM is so off the mark.

it's no doubt on the forum somewhere but in summary what's actually wrong with the HKM kit ?? Like you, I would find the Tamiya kit too much for what I look for in a build (just looked up a few build reviews on line) and know I would get bored before the fuselage went together. I really enjoy detailing up as well and I'm happy with a kit as long as it looks closely enough to my eyes to the real plane.  The HKM kit is still a bit expensive for my pocket money but much closer to what I'd be happy to spend that the Tamiya one (which I understand is more expensive as there's more to the kit).  I have a mosquito gap in my model collection - it will either be filled with the revell kit or the HKM but not sure which one ?

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

The three 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito's I have are way too simplified, and the 1/32 over-engineered for my taste or current ability.

I assume you've actually built one Jennings?

(Brian doesn't count as he's a master builder.)

I've built one.   It was probably the most enjoyable build I've ever done.  As far as being "over-engineered", that's just silly.   The actual aircraft has some very complex parts, especially the landing gear and the bomb / LG bays.   I suppose Tamiya could have just represented the LG from single lumps of plastic but instead, they opted to make this part as close as possible to the real thing.  The truly amazing thing is - if you just follow the instructions, it's all quite easy to assemble.  Nothing fiddly, everything fits into place precisely, no struggles trying to align parts.    I would say that if someone is unable to successfully build those sub-assemblies, they probably would struggle with any plastic model. 

Edited by John1

6 hours ago, npb748r said:

it's no doubt on the forum somewhere but in summary what's actually wrong with the HKM kit ?? Like you, I would find the Tamiya kit too much for what I look for in a build (just looked up a few build reviews on line) and know I would get bored before the fuselage went together. I really enjoy detailing up as well and I'm happy with a kit as long as it looks closely enough to my eyes to the real plane.  The HKM kit is still a bit expensive for my pocket money but much closer to what I'd be happy to spend that the Tamiya one (which I understand is more expensive as there's more to the kit).  I have a mosquito gap in my model collection - it will either be filled with the revell kit or the HKM but not sure which one ?

What people have said in this thread, about the HKM having shape issues. The windows on the nose are at the wrong angle and the wing leading edge above the radiators is too curved.

But I'm not sure I can't live with that in a fun-to-build kit, with a cheap Revell as a sidekick for possible parts harvesting. I want a two-stage Merlin PR blue Mk.XVI which pushes me at the HKM, otherwise I'd go for a PR.IV based on tarting-up the Revell.

Don't get me wrong: the Tamiya's a great kit. But I could only ever build one (to go with my Corgi B.XVI and a proposed HKM PR.XVI adaptation)

Tony 

Edited by Tony T
brevity

4 minutes ago, John1 said:

I would say that if someone is unable to successfully build those sub-assemblies, they probably would struggle with any plastic model. 

For me it's not about being unable to build the sub assemblies or complex kits, it's about the amount of time involved in the build, it becomes boring and therefore not an enjoyable build. We are all different I guess.

It's like buying jigsaw puzzles. The 150 piece set is way too simple, the 1500 piece set never gets finished before it needs to be cleared away from the dining table. Most want something inbetween.

Tamiya pushed the project too far with an unnecessarily overengineered kit which seems to have resulted in it financially killing off any 1/32 new tool aircraft for the forseeable future. 

I'd like to see HKM produce a fighter version, especially something like an NF.30, but it appears they are also done with the subject. 

Tony

7 minutes ago, Tony T said:

amiya pushed the project too far with an unnecessarily overengineered kit which seems to have resulted in it financially killing off any 1/32 new tool aircraft for the forseeable future. 

Once again, I feel the need to point out that is opinion and not fact. As to the financial part of it, for all we know the downing of their 1/32nd line may have been part of Tamiya-sans plan all along and had 0 to do with the Mossie.  No one knows for sure, but saying their Mosquito caused the collapse of an entire range of models is much less opinion and much more pure conjecture.