B-17 Assembly Line 1944

2 minutes ago, Jager said:

If you have ever bucked rivets, ear pro is essential too.

Nah, I’ve shot literally thousands of rivets in my life and the only ones I needed hearing protection for were the monel/stainless rivets in the bearing keeper on the rudder of the Gulfstream IV while using a 4x rivet gun.

My hearing is perfectly fine at 60 years old (unless you ask my wife, that is).

On 1/13/2022 at 10:22 AM, Juggernut said:

Nah, I’ve shot literally thousands of rivets in my life and the only ones I needed hearing protection for were the monel/stainless rivets in the bearing keeper on the rudder of the Gulfstream IV while using a 4x rivet gun.

Bucking rivets in the aft fuselage hot section of the F15, MDC required our assemblers to wear ear pro. Not so much on our DC8 re-engining program. 

Buck-on Bros.

Clues as to where this is....that last few seconds showing a DC-3 in the background.  This footage is most probably from the Douglas assembly line.  There are other clues that also lead me to believe this is the Douglas plant. 

On 1/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, Juggernut said:

Nice.  Boy those rivet guns are working overtime.

When I moved to North Carolina I heard that familiar sound somewhere close in my neighborhood and figured that someone must be building an airplane. Turned out to be a woodpecker hammering on my rainspout.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, Juggernut said:

FWIW as I've gotten older (56 now) I have gotten much more into PPE.  I used to be 100% WFC I am too tough to need it.  These days, when operating power tools in my woodshop (table saw, router table, jointer, planer, etc) I always wear a dust mask AND hearing protection.  The hearing protection is doubly valuable because any time one of these machines is running, the vacuum that drives the dust collection system is running too, so more noise.  One thing that's super-obvious is that if I ever forget and turn a machine on without the hearing pro on, GOD it is loud.  Given that at any age over 50 we're just trying to manage the rate of decay to be as shallow as possible, I'm all into protection.  Hopefully the dust mask keeps me running for a few more years before my lungs give out... 

No one ever talks about it, but well over 70k Americans died producing war goods. Something like 200 GM executives died at their desks of heart attacks and things like that. Some of the things they were doing were so new, they had no idea how to make safety rules.  Just think of the Kaiser ship yards, and welding big sections of ship together, and moving the big chunks around with cranes and trains, they were figuring out how to do the job, and didn't have a lot of time to think about safety.  And yeah, the Kaiser of Kaiser Ship yards, was also the guy who came up with Kaiser Permanente. He came up with it because  of wage freezes, he needed another way to get people to come work for him, and since no one offered it, employer paid Healthcare was a pretty big deal. 

Cool Video. Almost a surprise the B-17 was still in production in 1944, when better aircraft were available. Of course the 8th might have revolted if they forced B-24s on all their air groups.  

Edited by JeepsGunsTanks