Spitfire Mk XIV [Tamyia + Conversion 1/32]

discus

Hello

In my previous thread, I presented my new Mk IX => https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/92040-spitfire-mk-ix-tamyia-132/

As I said, I had some idea to recycle the old Mk IX....

img_1711.jpg

I found out that the AA Production conversion kit for a Mk XIV could be adapted on the Tamyia Model...

Well... this needed some surgery but it ended up being a Mk XIV.

First, I removed some stuff : the engine (obviously...), the rudder and the elevators. I also removed some of the canopy and the landing gears to protect them. (The windshield was reluctant to go, so I left it to not break it...)

img_3310.jpg

Next step, unpacking the chainsaw.... to remove the VTP and the tips of the HTP
img_3311.jpg

Then we can install the new vertical tail plane (it is much bigger on the griffon engined Spits to compensate the enormous torque of the beast).
img_3312.jpg

Removal of both radiators to instal the bigger ones...
img_3314.jpg

img_3313.jpg

I also installed the new tailwhell compartement...

then the big part : the nose... that was not easy and I gave it a lot of thinking before doing anything... in the end I decided to use the old Mk IX engine cowls to join the fuselage with the new front resin part.

img_3317.jpg

img_3315.jpg

Some (a lot) putty and sanding later...
img_3318.jpg

Then I engrave the panel lines on the nose, applied a layer of surfaced and removed the old decals ont the rest of the A/C

Then painting and decaling...

i used leftover decals so I had a very limited choice in letters and numbers of the S/N. This A/C probably never existed. On top of that I wrongly installed the letters in the right side....

anyway, here is the beast

img_2829.jpg

img_2830.jpg

img_2828.jpg

img_2831.jpg

img_2832.jpg

Thanks guys ^_^

11 hours ago, Thomas Lund said:

I have a XIV conversion too - grey matter IIRC - but I'm not sure that I have the guts to apply it to a Tamiya spit...

The grey matter conversion looks better than the AA prod but I had not much choice since I was not starting the kit from scratch. For example on the GM conversion, the nose also has the wing roots attached meaning even more surgery for me...

Great result, and a very ambitious idea for a Tamiya super kit.

Many years ago I built a Mk.XIV using a Hasegawa Mk.V as the base kit and a Warbirds conversion. Mind you there was not much left of the Hasegawa kit in the finished article, just the rear portion of the fuselage.

OGjP1l.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

12 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

What a brilliant, literally seamless conversion! Congratulations discus!

I hate to be the one to say it, but I believe the starboard letters should be G-DW or DW-G!

For the letters, I noticed the mistake when I took the photos... too late :(

Edited by discus

• 5 weeks later...