McDonnell Douglas OA-4M Skyhawk "MAG-32" - Hasegawa/Trumpeter

Starfighter

Lovely work there Ben, as usual. 

Regarding the satiny smooth coat of black primer: is it Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 (I see a bottle of the stuff on your workbench)? And if so, what thinner did you use? And finally, what kind of airbrush or gun did you apply it with? Sorry for all of the questions, but the finish you achieved is spectacular.

Curiously and as always respectfully,

Rich 

Thank you guys for your effort and especially to Lester for his incredible research which will enable me to apply the correct name to my model - that's why I love LSP! :) 

Thierry, thanks for the hint. The different IP layout is the reason why I printed a new front IP according to a drawing from the NATOPS and I did not forget the boxes on top of the coaming either. :) I modified the rear IP as well but I think I'll print a new one. The basic Black Box part was not nicely cast which did not help my (rather bad) painting effort. 

I managed to get a bit of bench time last weekend. I was not quite happy with the look of the FS36320 on the top surfaces; I sprayed several coats of FS36320 from MRP and Gunze and applied a bit or MRP FS35237 on top in order to obtain the shade I was looking for. The model was then sealed with flat varnish from VLS (great stuff!). I then applied a firs warm grey wash and added several shadings with highly diluted Tamiya Smoke. 

img_3103lkj05.jpeg

img_3104abj87.jpeg

The photos of the real a/c show wome nice stains around the guns. I have tried to replicate the stains with a combination of oil paint and Tamiya Smoke. 

img_3106wtkx6.jpeg

The typical scuff marks above the elevators were applied by airbrush.

img_3107n1jtv.jpg

img_3111gukgk.jpeg

Next step: Masking! The masks were cut on my venerable Silhouette Portrait. 

img_3115drk9p.jpeg

img_312336jru.jpg

img_3124pfkpz.jpg

One of the best moments in scale modelling IMO...

img_3137qajzx.jpeg

img_3138q3jj2.jpg

img_3139k0jf4.jpg

Not too bad IMO! Thanks to Lester, I can now draw the artwork for the pilot name. I'd love to paint it on as well - sadly, it's too small for my Portrait to cut. I have contacted Oneman Army to ask if he'd be willing to do custom laser cut masks for me, but I am still waiting for his reply. Stay tuned! 

On 1/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, scvrobeson said:

Beautiful paintwork on this one, but that's not surprising coming form you.

Is that another S-3 Viking I see in the background?

Matt 

Thank you guys! Matt, that's indeed another one in the background - this one is going to be an ES-3A once it's done. Did I mention I like esoteric stuff? :D

In the meantime, Mr Portrait and me were busy preparing some more masks. I need a new blade, but even with the old one, the results are pretty nice. I love that little machine! 

img_3144ezksp.jpeg

img_3145nikv4.jpeg

And here it comes... 

img_31477qj1u.jpeg

img_31483qja7.jpeg

The other side sadly wasn't as successful - I pulled off a bit of paint when I removed the mask. I possible pulled it off too quickly...

img_31501yjpd.jpeg

So out came the sanding paper...

img_3151v3jfm.jpg

Touched up. After a coat of matt varnish, it should be good enough to repaint the "Bandits" logo.

img_315212koo.jpeg

Bonus: gun barrels and refueling probe tip from Profimodeller (not plusmodel as initiall stated!). The barrels are mightly impressive - just have a close look at them! 

img_31559nkg5.jpeg

Edited by Starfighter
Info regarding turned metal parts corrected

12 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Thank you guys! Matt, that's indeed another one in the background - this one is going to be an ES-3A once it's done. Did I mention I like esoteric stuff? :D

In the meantime, Mr Portrait and me were busy preparing some more masks. I need a new blade, but even with the old one, the results are pretty nice. I love that little machine! 

img_3144ezksp.jpeg

img_3145nikv4.jpeg

And here it comes... 

img_31477qj1u.jpeg

img_31483qja7.jpeg

The other side sadly wasn't as successful - I pulled off a bit of paint when I removed the mask. I possible pulled it off too quickly...

img_31501yjpd.jpeg

So out came the sanding paper...

img_3151v3jfm.jpg

Touched up. After a coat of matt varnish, it should be good enough to repaint the "Bandits" logo.

img_315212koo.jpeg

Bonus: gun barrels and refueling probe tip from plusmodel. The barrels are mightly impressive - just have a close look at them! 

img_31559nkg5.jpeg

plusmodel or profimodeller barrels? In any case they look sharp, as does your model. Great job Ben!

11 hours ago, allthumbs said:

plusmodel or profimodeller barrels? In any case they look sharp, as does your model. Great job Ben!

Profimodeller it is, sorry faor causing confusion! I will revise the post - thanks for pointing it out! :)