Jump to content

Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire


treker_ed
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Chek said:

I don't see anything in the available photos that isn't already in the Tamiya kits, so apart from sheer size I can't see any advantage to the increase in scale.

 

I'd argue price... Tamiya 1/32nd Spit: £120. New Airfix 1/24the Spit: £95. As well getting a lot more model for your money, it's cheaper than the smaller Tamiya Spit, too :)

 

This is great news -  living under the approach to Biggin Hill I see numerous of this breed every day during the summer. Hopefully the after-market guys will be jumping in to give us decals for current airworthy versions. Hopefully this will be a resounding success for Airfix and we can then dream of the Griffon Mk14/19 at some point too.

 

Tom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although it looks delightful in the CAD drawings and it holds all the promise that 1/24 scale is capable of delivering, Tamiya's 1/32 scale Mk IX is still superb, and it is a very tough act to follow. Airfix' ability to surmount their prior issues with fit (ie: Typhoon & Hellcat) and finish remains to be seen.  Even though the Mk IX is my all-time favorite tied with the Mustang, personally, aside from their choice to build in the larger scale, I really don't see the attraction. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is going to sell very well, but I'm now torn as Revell are bringing out a new tool 1/32 Hurricane this Autumn. 

The conflict of scale thing is freaking me out a bit. 

 

Is the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane any good? 

 

Tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tony T said:

This is going to sell very well, but I'm now torn as Revell are bringing out a new tool 1/32 Hurricane this Autumn. 

The conflict of scale thing is freaking me out a bit. 

 

Is the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane any good? 

 

Tony


I think the Trumpeter Hurricane is a pretty decent kit.  I seem to remember an issue with the MK.II boxings in that it had the version of the Merlin fitted to the MK.I, but the rest was pretty good.  I picked up the IIC Trop boxing, along with the PE set that Trumpeter made for the kit a while ago at a pretty good price.  Got some resin tires to replace the rubber ones and Master gun barrels to dress up the kit.

 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=822

 

Edited by Dave Williams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tony T said:

This is going to sell very well, but I'm now torn as Revell are bringing out a new tool 1/32 Hurricane this Autumn. 

The conflict of scale thing is freaking me out a bit. 

 

Is the Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane any good? 

 

Tony

I think the Trumpy 1/32  1/24 Hurricane is very good. A review

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=821

 

Edited by eoyguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, some 27 years ago I converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc (below) and, should you wonder how a Mk.IX looks beside a Typhoon..... (again below). Yes, the Typhoon was (is?) big. Now it looks like my Spit will have to move over and make room for another. And having flown with 402 Squadron, I think the choice of markings for this next build won't require much debate.

45zvy2F.jpgU5G3DN0.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well happy for all the spitfire fans. The model looks good but its a hard pass for me, dont know why but the spitfire is not a plate that attracts me for some reason. Even tough its an amazing aircraft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Well, some 27 years ago I converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc (below) and, should you wonder how a Mk.IX looks beside a Typhoon..... (again below). Yes, the Typhoon was (is?) big. Now it looks like my Spit will have to move over and make room for another. And having flown with 402 Squadron, I think the choice of markings for this next build won't require much debate.

45zvy2F.jpgU5G3DN0.jpg

Grizly 

STUNNING  conversion..

AND you were ahead of everyone all those years ago !

:bow:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Grizly said:

Well, some 27 years ago I converted the Airfix Mk.1a to a Mk.IXc (below) and, should you wonder how a Mk.IX looks beside a Typhoon..... (again below). Yes, the Typhoon was (is?) big. Now it looks like my Spit will have to move over and make room for another. And having flown with 402 Squadron, I think the choice of markings for this next build won't require much debate.

U5G3DN0.jpg

 

I was just re-reading both those issues of Scale Models featuring your Spitfire last week!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

 

I'd argue price... Tamiya 1/32nd Spit: £120. New Airfix 1/24the Spit: £95. As well getting a lot more model for your money, it's cheaper than the smaller Tamiya Spit, too :)

 

This is great news -  living under the approach to Biggin Hill I see numerous of this breed every day during the summer. Hopefully the after-market guys will be jumping in to give us decals for current airworthy versions. Hopefully this will be a resounding success for Airfix and we can then dream of the Griffon Mk14/19 at some point too.

 

Tom


just fyi Tamiya Spit IXc is on eBay (new) for £90 shipped from a UK seller / or from Jadlam Racing direct from their website.

 

pay £95 and you can buy them all day long so not sure where on Earth you are getting £120 from. Are you looking for the most expensive price to pay?

 

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nmayhew said:


just fyi Tamiya Spit IXc is on eBay (new) for £90 shipped from a UK seller / or from Jadlam Racing direct from their website.

 

pay £95 and you can buy them all day long so not sure where on Earth you are getting £120 from. Are you looking for the most expensive price to pay?

 

 


 

 

Hannants prices:

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc Kit No 60319 £120

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk VIII Kit No 60320 £135

Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk XVI Kit No 60321 £135

 

Wonderland Models, Edinburgh

Same kits, Same prices (currently 10% off)

 

E-Models, Stoke-on-Trent

No Mk XVI

MK XVIII £140 currently £133

MK IXc £120 currently £114

 

By no means an exhaustive list, just the ones I personally use on a semi-regular basis and the same prices across the board more or less. Yes you can find cheaper, on sites like E-bay who don't have the infrastructure that standard retail have to pay for. But as this is about the New Airfix kit. I agree with the original sentiment. £95 is actually semi-reasonable for a 1/24 super detailed kit like the Spitfire. I will more than likely end up buying one, however I will get it direct from Airfix due to being an Airfix Club member and therefore getting an automatic 10% discount at checkout for all orders! (Plus the money goes direct to Airfix and helps their bottom line! More money in the pot for product development, win-win!) Much better value than paying well over £100 for what is essentially a 12 year old moulding in 1/32!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...