Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Boogaloo asked if I could compare the 50+ year old Mk1a with this new tool kit. 

I snipped the fuselage half off the sprue to see how they measure up. 

20221226-123516-2.jpg

20221226-123502-2.jpg

The answer is, remarkably well. 

20221226-123754-2.jpg

The silhouette of the fuselage is virtually identical. Where they differ is in a few small areas.

The leading edge of the fin has a marginally different shape.

20221226-123745-2.jpg

The area of the upper fuel tank and windshield treatment differ. As can be seen, the length is a millimetre or so longer on the new tool.

Additionally, the underside to wing join is handled differently 

20221226_124006_2.jpg

But the profile at the engine firewall looks quite similar.

20221226_124521_2.jpg

I am impressed by just how close these two are. To me it shows just how good the overall shape of the original Mk1a release was back in the day. 

Hth

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Whilst we have the Mk 1a out, I came across someone offering upgrade parts: Hobartville Hobbies of Australia do Cockpits for the Mk1a, Mk V, Mk VIII and Mk IX, four spoke treaded tyres, a four blade propeller, radio racks, Browning and cannon gunbays with covers and the early metal seat for the Mk1a. But the cherry on the cake are the enclosed wheelbays - possibly the most asked for upgrade for the older Spitfire superkit.

I've ordered an early Mk1a Cockpit, the radio rack and the enclosed wheelbays; I will report back when these parts arrive.

in the meantime here's a link:https://www.hobartvillehobbies.com.au/

Great photos again, Gedubelyer! I too have been comparing the two Spitfires; I noticed the upper wing 'kink' is in a slightly different position on the new kit and it seems rather...flat on the underside ( it's been a while since I was underneath a Spitfire, but I recall lots of curves ! You mentioned the early Mk1a had very shiny panels ( especially the leading edge D box panels) - I'm fairly sure this leading edge was puttied and sanded before painting ( think I read a Supermarine document describing the required process ), so maybe this area needs smoothing out on both wings of the new MkIX?

hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

3 hours ago, BloorwestSiR said:

How does the 1a kit go together? My son just bought one yesterday as it was only $35 CAD. I know I'll be giving him a hand with it but just wanted to know if there's anything particular to watch out for. 

Carl

Well, I managed to build one, so it can’t be that bad!

Getting the wing dihedral was the biggest challenge. The wings had a distinct droop without enhancement.

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

Well, I managed to build one, so it can’t be that bad!

Getting the wing dihedral was the biggest challenge. The wings had a distinct droop without enhancement.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I figured there might be some fit challenges but it was cheaper than an Airfix 1/72 Spitfire and he has some basic skills already. Might have to help with the dihedral. 

17 hours ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Whilst we have the Mk 1a out, I came across someone offering upgrade parts: Hobartville Hobbies of Australia do Cockpits for the Mk1a, Mk V, Mk VIII and Mk IX, four spoke treaded tyres, a four blade propeller, radio racks, Browning and cannon gunbays with covers and the early metal seat for the Mk1a. But the cherry on the cake are the enclosed wheelbays - possibly the most asked for upgrade for the older Spitfire superkit.

I've ordered an early Mk1a Cockpit, the radio rack and the enclosed wheelbays; I will report back when these parts arrive.

in the meantime here's a link:https://www.hobartvillehobbies.com.au/

Thanks for the heads up. A couple of cautions, from what I see, for those who want accuracy. The cockpit looks good but some details did change from Mark to Mark so ‘out of the box’ may not be suitable for what you are building. The wheel wells will help a lot, but the walls look to be vertical all the way around - not correct - and the area where the leg sat should be open with wing structure visible. The detail at the top of the well for the wheel also differed between early and later Marks. I think this detail is peculiar to the Mark I and II’s, off the top of my head.

Edited by Pete Roberts

9 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

True enough, but a lot better than nothing at all, and some great "eye candy".

Sorry Kevin, I don’t agree. Restored aircraft can be misleading if you want absolute accuracy (the classic is the red crowbar on the cockpit door). The best reference IMHO is the Montforton Book. That will give you detail down to the gauge of metal used on the skinning (!! :o)

https://www.monfortonpress.com 

Edited by Pete Roberts

Looking forward to building this but can't understand why we have got decals for 2 separate versions of EN398 but no RAF clipped wing aircraft.  Also, unless I have missed something, no-one has produced any aftermarket decals for a clipped wing version yet.  You Tube has got some good colour clips of 154 Sqn in Corsica that includes some clipped wing aircraft, albeit the squadron codes seem smaller than usual. 

Original colours are clearly not just an issue for modellers.  I found a gallery of wartime stills on You Tube that have been colourised and while it does not say when this was done the crowbar on a Spitfire was, you guessed it, red.