Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

One other thing I am incredibly pleased with and proud of is the artwork for the set which my good friend Antonis Karidis created..

I was going to keep it under wraps until I release the set, but I have been gazing at it all day and wanted to share it :)

0L1IpA.jpg

Antonis has a talent that is quite simply unmatched in digital art and is now in very high demand among manufacturers and magazines, I am sure many of you will recognise his work

anyways, this is a little bit of airscale history I am personally overjoyed with...

Peter

1 hour ago, airscale said:

One other thing I am incredibly pleased with and proud of is the artwork for the set which my good friend Antonis Karidis created..

I was going to keep it under wraps until I release the set, but I have been gazing at it all day and wanted to share it :)

0L1IpA.jpg

Antonis has a talent that is quite simply unmatched in digital art and is now in very high demand among manufacturers and magazines, I am sure many of you will recognise his work

anyways, this is a little bit of airscale history I am personally overjoyed with...

Peter

Wow! That artwork is STUNNING. It really makes me think of Roy Cross’ artwork especially for the vintage 1/24 “super kits”. 

14 hours ago, airscale said:

0L1IpA.jpg

Peter

Any thoughts on creating an 8x10 of this to sell Peter?

My kit landed on my doorstep today ...... took a quick look through the box and instructions ...... Wow !!

5 options on the markings ......

1 French

3 RAF in Dark Green / Ocean Grey ( 1 is Johnnie Johnsons bird and another includes full D-Day invasion stripes)

1 USAAF in Desert Camo (Italy)

Interesting (to me) that they provide options of minimal engine assembly if you are going to keep the engine cowlings on, then follow steps 115-135. 

If you want to display the engine with removable cowlings, then you go with the full engine assembly sequence .....steps 115 - 198 !! 

That's a lot of steps.

14 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I think I know the answer to this but I haven't seen it answered to my satisfaction: can one build this cowls on and have an engine to display separately? I'd have it with a cowl off but it's been nagging at me.

It can be done but some jiggery pokery will be necessary. 

Some elements of the lower engine and front of the engine are utilised so they would need fabricating. 

It would take some careful lining up of the cowlings too plus some way of locating the prop correctly. But, it's doable. 

Edit* One thing that does need checking is whether the prop shaft is modelled with a splined end in a similar manner to the Tamiya version. (I think it might be)

Can someone with the kit please confirm this either way? Thanks.

@Stokey Pete, sounds like a great plan. Alternatively you could wait for the next release, the mk VIII :whistle:

@Jim Barry, great to hear you're impressed and smashing photos. Please feel free to share more if you are inclined. The more the merrier :D

Edited by geedubelyer