Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

14 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

For those in need of larger display cases I would suggest looking into retail businesses that are closing down. 

I purchased 2 massive showcases at an antique mall closing. 

Great idea, but in my case i then need space to put the display cases.  I've been living in my home for forty years so stuff has accumulated, raised a family in it then the kids left home but didn't take all their stuff.  Now I'm retired, I have time to build models, and my book library has expanded. 

I just need a bigger home. :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

On 10/29/2022 at 2:43 AM, Shoggz said:

Let's hope Airfix follow it up with a Mk.VIII and XVI

Not long after the announcement I asked on Twitter if there were plans for a high-back XVI and they said no. But they may have lied to protect the future surprise?

On 10/30/2022 at 9:32 AM, John Stambaugh said:

For those in need of larger display cases I would suggest looking into retail businesses that are closing down. 

I purchased 2 massive showcases at an antique mall closing. 

A local shop put a couple out on the curb as they were closing. One even had internal lighting. My wife called me and I drove up to check them out. Sadly, they were so heavy we couldn't even lift one into the car so there was no way it would have been able to get into the basement. 

Looked at them for close to half an hour trying to figure out how they could be disassembled but no luck. 

Carl

1 hour ago, BloorwestSiR said:

A local shop put a couple out on the curb as they were closing. One even had internal lighting. My wife called me and I drove up to check them out. Sadly, they were so heavy we couldn't even lift one into the car so there was no way it would have been able to get into the basement. 

Looked at them for close to half an hour trying to figure out how they could be disassembled but no luck. 

Carl

Hi, Having brought 2 shop display cabinets recently I can vouch for how heavy they are even after removing shelves they were a 3 man lifting job minimum, 6mm tempered glass will do that, shame you had to leave them. cheers.

28 minutes ago, iaf-man said:

It's Airfix built models or what?

the kit isn't out yet

These are showing off the four schemes offered in the kit and are created by Airfix artists. 

It's possible that one of the greatest challenges facing modellers on this kit will be what airframe to choose. 

Those images raise enormous excitement and enthusiasm. The options are almost endless. 

Edited by geedubelyer

4 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

These are showing off the four schemes offered in the kit and are created by Airfix artists. 

It's possible that one of the greatest challenges facing modellers on this kit will be what airframe to choose. 

Those images raise enormous excitement and enthusiasm. The options are almost endless. 

Question is-what value are the resin parts by Buchon for this kit,being new?

or they are better for the old Mk.1?

1 hour ago, iaf-man said:

Question is-what value are the resin parts by Buchon for this kit,being new?

or they are better for the old Mk.1?

It looks as though the resin conversion might become obsolete for many. 

Unless the modeller already owns an early Airfix Spitfire and is determined to put themselves through the challenge of converting it, this new tool Mk IX appears to give the modeller everything they need to recreate their favourite steed. 

The Airfix kit does look like an exquisite winner, but the Buchon “e” wing parts set would still be useful for that conversion. And depending on the quality of the Airfix clear parts, their resin canopy might be an improvement. 

We probably won’t see it on this side of the Atlantic for a bit yet. Looking forward to the reviews once people get it in their hands. 

Richard