Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

1 hour ago, airscale said:

Agree, it is likely AM won't be needed as the kit looks exceptional in the renders - I am only looking at doing a set because I like folks to have a choice, and Airfix do have some previous for doing odd things with their Instrument panels - clear parts, decals on stalks on clear parts, and looking at the panel render it is possible they do somehing left field again..

JYKgzD.jpg

..will have to get my grubby hands on a kit and see if I think either the instrumentation or the panel or other bits need some PE love

Peter

Would love to see what you could do with this one Peter! Always welcome choice….

Edited by Pete Roberts

On 7/18/2022 at 3:50 PM, airscale said:

Agree, it is likely AM won't be needed as the kit looks exceptional in the renders - I am only looking at doing a set because I like folks to have a choice, and Airfix do have some previous for doing odd things with their Instrument panels - clear parts, decals on stalks on clear parts, and looking at the panel render it is possible they do somehing left field again..

JYKgzD.jpg

..will have to get my grubby hands on a kit and see if I think either the instrumentation or the panel or other bits need some PE love

Peter

What? A 1/24 Airfix kit without an Airscale I.P. ?? Preposterous!

On 7/18/2022 at 8:50 PM, airscale said:

Peter

Hmmm - those needles on the various instruments don't look quite right to my eye - they seem very, shall we say, "chunky" and oversize.

Edited by MikeC

Sorry but at 95£ with that detail even a 1/48 (up to a 2 engined one) would qualify according to my taste!-looks stuning and althouj 'havent got experiance with the other 24rs something REALLY bad must occur to take it out if my list

On 7/17/2022 at 6:02 AM, Dpgsbody55 said:

Attitude Aviation have released some resin sets to convert the old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire I/Vb into a later marque, including a set for E wing conversion.  These may have some application for the upcoming MkIX release.  Presently available at Hannants and other places too.

1/24 Spitfire parts

Other Spitfire IX stuff in this link too, such as pink Spitfire decals.

Cheers,

Michael

I'm really liking the № 16 Sqn pink FR.IXc. Think I can scratch the mod too (scaling up the AIMS RAF camera set) as the only camera peephole was put in the port fuse radio hatch.  

Just need to know the porthole diameter and if it was flush or convex (visions of pushing pens into heated coke bottle plastic).

Think this will be my winter project.

Tony 

Great news, just had an e-mail from Espen ( Buchon Models) that he is inteding to do a MK XVI conversion for the new Airfix Spitfire when it comes out - sent a Lovely shot of a mock up he has just finished, so seems pretty comitted to it :).

Jon

And thinking about it, hopefully that means an e- wing conversion in its own right !  Which he already does but not specific to the new Airfix kit, obviously due to it been out yet.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

G'day All,

Just yesterday I got info on the, apparently, 'solid in-store' dates for the long awaited Airfix 1/24 Mk IX Spitfire. A mate of mine who writes on aviation and modelling topics in the UK sent me a message about the media and retailers' day at Airfix H.Q. last week. 

The main presentations were regarding their 1/48 Mk I Avro Anson and, more to the point of this thread; their 1/24 Mk IX Spitfire. My mate told me that Airfix had "quietly predicted" that stocks of both kits will be in UK stores from this week or the week after.

I'm an Aussie modeller (and ex-RAAF). I've had both kits on Pre-Order since April and May, respectively, so, the next bit of info was good news for me.

Hobby shops in the Antipodes will, I'm told, have the Ansons in-store by first week in December '22 and the big Spits will be in-store 2nd or 3rd week in November '22.

I then made a few calls to kit retailers down here who are good modelling mates; two of them confirmed those in-store dates, both saying that was the message they just received from Airfix (both asked how the heck did I know).

Now, I've got a favour to ask you good people about where I can find 1/24 RAAF Spitfire decal sheets for Aussie squadrons that flew Mk IXs in the Pacific towards the end of WW2.

I'd like to do a tribute build to a distant relative who flew them for the RAAF. I'm still trying to pin down which squadron he was with but that's not important at the moment.

If anybody here can let me know where I can buy Aussie 1/24 Mk IX Spit decals, I'd be truly grateful.

Essentially, all I need are the 'friendly fire' Aussie, blue and white roundels and the maroon/white/blue tail fin flashes. I can create the squadron letters from some stickers I have. The stencilling that comes with the kit will do me; but then, without a full decal sheet I can't do the other small markings that are unique to the RAAF. 

Anyway, I'll leave that with you. I hope the Airfix info turns out to be as accurate as I was assured it was.

Cheers, and all the best.

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

PO Box 162 Lindisfarne Tasmania Australia

12 hours ago, raafbloke said:

G'day All,

Just yesterday I got info on the, apparently, 'solid in-store' dates for the long awaited Airfix 1/24 Mk IX Spitfire. A mate of mine who writes on aviation and modelling topics in the UK sent me a message about the media and retailers' day at Airfix H.Q. last week. 

The main presentations were regarding their 1/48 Mk I Avro Anson and, more to the point of this thread; their 1/24 Mk IX Spitfire. My mate told me that Airfix had "quietly predicted" that stocks of both kits will be in UK stores from this week or the week after.

I'm an Aussie modeller (and ex-RAAF). I've had both kits on Pre-Order since April and May, respectively, so, the next bit of info was good news for me.

Hobby shops in the Antipodes will, I'm told, have the Ansons in-store by first week in December '22 and the big Spits will be in-store 2nd or 3rd week in November '22.

I then made a few calls to kit retailers down here who are good modelling mates; two of them confirmed those in-store dates, both saying that was the message they just received from Airfix (both asked how the heck did I know).

Now, I've got a favour to ask you good people about where I can find 1/24 RAAF Spitfire decal sheets for Aussie squadrons that flew Mk IXs in the Pacific towards the end of WW2.

I'd like to do a tribute build to a distant relative who flew them for the RAAF. I'm still trying to pin down which squadron he was with but that's not important at the moment.

If anybody here can let me know where I can buy Aussie 1/24 Mk IX Spit decals, I'd be truly grateful.

Essentially, all I need are the 'friendly fire' Aussie, blue and white roundels and the maroon/white/blue tail fin flashes. I can create the squadron letters from some stickers I have. The stencilling that comes with the kit will do me; but then, without a full decal sheet I can't do the other small markings that are unique to the RAAF. 

Anyway, I'll leave that with you. I hope the Airfix info turns out to be as accurate as I was assured it was.

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

Unfortunately Bill the RAAF didn’t fly any Mk IXs in the Pacific. Some RAAF Squadrons did fly them in Europe.

The Spitfires flown by the RAAF in the Pacific were Mk VIII’s, which can be built from the Mk IX but will require some modification.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, raafbloke said:

G'day All,

raafbloke

Bill Halliwell

apparently rubbish….

• 5 weeks later...

Latest Airfix post now has the new 1/24 Spitfire being bundled with an A2 print of the Adam Tooby artwork from the box top.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-free-a2-poster-bundlea16

As I was going to be buying from Airfix anyway (10% discount at checkout for Airfix club members) this just sweetens the offer!