Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

21 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

As a confirmed aftermarket junkie I must insist that large scale "super kits" demand super aftermarket!

I will be eagerly awaiting to hear from Airscale, Aerocraft, Baracuda, Model monkey, Synthetic Ordnance Works, Eduard, etc. to show us the good stuff. VISA card in hand guys...

Agree 100% but don’t hold your breath given the response to other 1/24 scale kits. Very little has come out. There has been Airscale instruments and some nice P-51 coverage by Model Monkey. Eduard have largely ignored 1/24. Eduard have done some nice sets for the recent releases - Typhoon, Hellcat and Mosquito but otherwise pretty much ignored 1/24 scale. Nice to see some Spitfire stuff proposed by Attitude Aviation (listed by Hannants) A few instrument panels by others in the new resin printed decals. Some wheels, exhausts and some seat belts here and there, but a heap of stuff could still be done compared to 1/32 and 1/48 scale coverage by AM. Especially for the Airfix Spitfire Mk I, Hurricane Mk I and Bf 109E which are crying out for extra details.

Edited by Pete Roberts

3 hours ago, RaceFuel said:

It's interesting that they say they have no plans for anything other than a C wing, yet the parts break down seems clear to allow for an E Wing also..

Hopefully if Airfix don’t come to the party, the AM guys will. Throw in a new cowling and a Mk XVI is possible - ok, with cowlings buttoned up. Or maybe a new AM engine??

Yes, as Pete, I have been frustrated with the minimal AM support afforded to 1/24th scale.

But as pointed out the new tool "super kits" from Airfix have thankfully been well served and I have no doubt that this will continue for this most iconic aircraft. Airfix has done the hard work to bring to us an excellent kit of a magnificent aircraft. It will be warranted and deserving of our best effort as builders and manufacturers to put this model into a class all it's own. 

On 7/12/2022 at 11:50 AM, Panzerwomble said:

Why oh why not in 1/35 .....will be giving thisone a big fat pass...

1/35 has not traditionally been used for fixed-wing Aircraft, though I do appreciate that Border Models has used it for several of their releases. Airfix have traditionally used 1/24th for their larger aircraft kits, they have never even done 1/32nd scale. So if you are looking for any aircraft in 1/35 you will be very much out of luck except for the upcoming Border models 1/35 "Kate", and their previous JU-87, & BF-109G. I am fully aware a lot of Helicopter models are in 1/35 to fit in with armour models, but other than a few kits in the late 40's early 50's (according to Scalemates) I can find nothing more recent that has been released as a fixed-wing a/c!

Edited by treker_ed

Regarding AM, l wouldnt like to be judjmental, the kits not out yet for AM to do there measurements on ! Also I believe Airfix when they say they will not do an E-wing, the breakdown of the kit might possibly be to facilitate such a conversion though. One interesting point is the rear fueselage cutaway, which as mentioned would allow them to do a Mk VIII and/or VII. Dont forget its 1/24 scale therefore limited appeal anyway. Personally I think that will be the lot from Airfix re this subject for the next 50years or so. Which wont wory me, by then I'll be producing Daises not models and hopfully doing a better job :).

Comparisons with the Tamiya kit which is in 1/32 and far more expensive, and isnt perfect most particularly around the cowling if you want it closed, and given the Airfix kit is not even out yet anyway is unfair !

Jon

On 7/13/2022 at 12:15 PM, treker_ed said:

1/35 has not traditionally been used for fixed-wing Aircraft, though I do appreciate that Border Models has used it for several of their releases. Airfix have traditionally used 1/24th for their larger aircraft kits, they have never even done 1/32nd scale...

I believe Panzerwobble was kidding. But maybe not.

This kit appeals to me as an almost OOB build — I would get a Sutton harness and drop-in IP — for building on the proverbial kitchen table (my study desk, more accurately).

Quite fancy doing a pink FR.IXc If decals emerge for one and Barracuda makes a camera set for it.

Tony 

1 hour ago, Tony T said:

I believe Panzerwobble was kidding. But maybe not.

This kit appeals to me as an almost OOB build — I would get a Sutton harness and drop-in IP — for building on the proverbial kitchen table (my study desk, more accurately).

Quite fancy doing a pink FR.IXc If decals emerge for one and Barracuda makes a camera set for it.

Tony 

That's what I thought initially and originally started my post saying something along those lines, but it didn't come across in the right way, so I decided that it wasn't going in! Something that can be said (verbally) in a jovial, light hearted way, does not easily translate in to a written statement. And so many "arguments" have started when some comment has been misinterpreted.

On 7/13/2022 at 11:35 AM, RaceFuel said:

It's interesting that they say they have no plans for anything other than a C wing, yet the parts break down seems clear to allow for an E Wing also..

On 7/13/2022 at 3:17 PM, Pete Roberts said:

Hopefully if Airfix don’t come to the party, the AM guys will. Throw in a new cowling and a Mk XVI is possible - ok, with cowlings buttoned up. Or maybe a new AM engine??

I asked Airfix on Twitter (or Facebook) about an e wing or - saints be praised - a XVI boxing, but their (very prompt, thanks Airfix!) answer was very much in the negative. But maybe they're just keeping it a surprise...if I cross my fingers any harder I'll do myself some damage.

On the subject of AM for the New Airfix 1/24 kits, apart from conversions what is actually needed? Admittedly I've not handled any of them but the reviews etc seem to show enough on the sprues to keep most modellers happy.

Edited by KiwiZac

7 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I asked Airfix on Twitter (or Facebook) about an e wing or - saints be praised - a XVI boxing, but their (very prompt, thanks Airfix!) answer was very much in the negative. But maybe they're just keeping it a surprise...if I cross my fingers any harder I'll do myself some damage.

On the subject of AM for the New Airfix 1/24 kits, apart from conversions what is actually needed? Admittedly I've not handled any of them but the reviews etc seem to show enough on the sprues to keep most modellers happy.

Attitude Aviation have released some resin sets to convert the old Airfix 1/24 Spitfire I/Vb into a later marque, including a set for E wing conversion.  These may have some application for the upcoming MkIX release.  Presently available at Hannants and other places too.

1/24 Spitfire parts

Other Spitfire IX stuff in this link too, such as pink Spitfire decals.

Cheers,

Michael

Agree, it is likely AM won't be needed as the kit looks exceptional in the renders - I am only looking at doing a set because I like folks to have a choice, and Airfix do have some previous for doing odd things with their Instrument panels - clear parts, decals on stalks on clear parts, and looking at the panel render it is possible they do somehing left field again..

JYKgzD.jpg

..will have to get my grubby hands on a kit and see if I think either the instrumentation or the panel or other bits need some PE love

Peter

19 minutes ago, airscale said:

Agree, it is likely AM won't be needed as the kit looks exceptional in the renders - I am only looking at doing a set because I like folks to have a choice, and Airfix do have some previous for doing odd things with their Instrument panels - clear parts, decals on stalks on clear parts, and looking at the panel render it is possible they do somehing left field again..

JYKgzD.jpg

Just what the Carpet Monster has been begging for: separate parts for the instrument dial needles. Just kidding, I know Airfix wouldn’t do that.

Wait, Airfix wouldn’t do that, right?

Adam